As per report "Walmart Foundation will invest $25 million to improve farmer livelihoods over the next five years, working beyond our Indian arm's supply chain," said the US based company in a statement in Bengaluru. Meanwhile the retail giant would also increase its direct sourcing from farmers to 25% of produce sold in its Cash and Carry stores over the next five years. The statement said "Smallholder farmers are the backbone of the Indian economy, with over 50% of the workforce employed in the sector”.
Furthermore as the Indian government has set an ambitious goal of doubling farmers' income by 2022, the global retail firm hopes its initiative would also improve India's food security and boost its economy. The statement noted "The fund will be used to support farmer organizations in developing knowledge of sustainable farming practices, share business best practices add value to primary agricultural commodities and improve access to finance and markets”.
Finally when announcing the funding initiative in
Lucknow, Walmart International Chief Executive Judith McKenna said the company
would create more opportunities for smallholder farmers with more local
sourcing of agri-produce for its supply chain and stores across the country.
TASMAC surpasses Petta! TASMAC sales have reached an all time blockbuster collections going past the magical 500 crores during the festive season of three day Pongal holidays. Compared to last year, the sales have increased by about 10 percent. There are about 5000 TASMAC outlets in TN and they are the major sources of income of the TN govt.
- Congress MP's trolls Amit and gets criticism!
- World's top four Richest Celebrity list with their individual net worth
- RBI Governor to cut Interest Rates
- PhonePe seen a remarkable growth in 2018 in offline business
- Vijayashanthi questions Why TRS shows fake statements
- SC orders protection for counterfeit travelers in Sabarimala issue
- Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali name for US Airport
- Reliance Jio Net Profit jumped to 65%
- Arun Jaitley to increase Income Tax Slabs Tax Rate
- Ola Money Postpaid offers a 15 day credit line to passengers
- Chill breeze to prolong for 4 days in Tamilnadu
- DMK Chief MK Stalin to attend Mamata Banerjee's Party meet on January 19
- Low cost Airline Scoot to adds 3 new South Indian cities
- Telangana new Assembly session begins with new Speaker
- Dinakaran suspects Edappadi Palanisamy!