As per report "Walmart Foundation will invest $25 million to improve farmer livelihoods over the next five years, working beyond our Indian arm's supply chain," said the US based company in a statement in Bengaluru. Meanwhile the retail giant would also increase its direct sourcing from farmers to 25% of produce sold in its Cash and Carry stores over the next five years. The statement said "Smallholder farmers are the backbone of the Indian economy, with over 50% of the workforce employed in the sector”.
Furthermore as the Indian government has set an ambitious goal of doubling farmers' income by 2022, the global retail firm hopes its initiative would also improve India's food security and boost its economy. The statement noted "The fund will be used to support farmer organizations in developing knowledge of sustainable farming practices, share business best practices add value to primary agricultural commodities and improve access to finance and markets”.
Finally when announcing the funding initiative in
Lucknow, Walmart International Chief Executive Judith McKenna said the company
would create more opportunities for smallholder farmers with more local
sourcing of agri-produce for its supply chain and stores across the country.
Sehwag challenges Kohli can't do it! Former Indian swashbuckling opening batsman Virender Sehwag has challenged that though Indian Skipper, run machine Virat Kohli has been making new records and breaking existing records, smashing most of the records of Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar, he won't be able to overcome several records. Kolhi has been on a rampage as he has been breaking records one after the other with every match and he is literally unstoppable.
- Ice seller tries to commit suicide!
- Rajinikanth's sudden press meet!
- Gaja storm takes extreme speed!
- Pawan Failed to STOP
- Rajinikanth is against PM Narendra Modi
- Wealthy Indian tech arrested for assaulting escort
- Cops shot the guy who killed the Indian student
- Is Chandrababu Naidu & DGPs involved in knife attack on YS Jagan?
- Suzuki Burgman Street scooters ready for launch
- Soorasamharam Event held in a spiritual way at Tiruchendur
- Lives of tribals mean nothing to Chandrababu today: Pawan
- Did Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan brought KCR closer to BJP?
- Cyclonic storm Gaja to bring heavy Rainfall Coupled with Gale Wind
- Puducherry CM slammed KCR
- Why Prabhas not showing interest in his marriage?