According to sources as per a 2011 report in Columbia University’s Earth Engineering Centre Waste to Energy Research and Technology Council (WERTC), Chennai ranks first in the country, generating the highest per capita waste at 0.7 kg, followed by Kolkatta (0.66 kg) and Delhi (0.65 kg). Meanwhile, the officials at Chennai’s Solid Waste Management (SWM) department say that 100% door to door collection has been implemented, segregation of waste at its source is yet to be achieved.
As per report from SWM department, 5,000 MT (1 MT = 1,000 kgs) of garbage is collected and removed from the city every day, of which 68% comes from houses and 14% from schools, colleges and institutions. Moreover there are about 19,073 conservancy workers collecting and sorting Chennai’s waste on a daily basis. Furthermore, a Chennai Corporation official tells TNM that north Chennai fares well as far as waste management is concerned when compared to other parts of the city.
Presently Chennai has 177 functional micro composting yards, including seven vermicomposting centers, 26 biogas composting centers, and five bio-thermal composting centers. Moreover, the proposal to build 17 RRC is also currently underway. Further Chennai Corporation has also joined hands with the State Horticulture Department to selling the compost from its composting centers.
Alibaba makes record selling in first five minutes & $10 billion figure achieved As per report Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba announced generation of whopping $30.8 billion in terms of Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) during Singles' Day sale the 24 hour annual shopping event held on November 11, beating the last year's record of $25 billion. Meanwhile around 180,000 brands had participated in the sale on all retail platforms of the company. Apple, Xiaomi
- Distributing 1 Lakh Cows per year is in BJPs Manifesto
- 69% Pakistanis aged 15-65 years don't know what the Internet is!!!
- Why Pasupuleti Balaraju quit TDP joined Janasena Party?
- Telangana Polls scheduled to be held by December 7
- Trump missing from one of weekend's most powerful images
- TRS MP Kavita attacked TPCC Chief
- Stalin condemns Periyar caste reference!
- Gaja storm getting intensified!
- Sivakasi laborers set to lose jobs!
- Viral video from Kaduvetti guru son!
- TRS released list of candidates for 107 of 119 Assembly Constituencies
- YSRCP Leader YS Jagan resumed his Padayatra with Emotional Welcome
- AAP includes Jobs for Youth in its Manifesto
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated two major national highways
- Why TN CM defended protests against AR Murugadoss's Sarkar?