According to sources as per a 2011 report in Columbia University’s Earth Engineering Centre Waste to Energy Research and Technology Council (WERTC), Chennai ranks first in the country, generating the highest per capita waste at 0.7 kg, followed by Kolkatta (0.66 kg) and Delhi (0.65 kg). Meanwhile, the officials at Chennai’s Solid Waste Management (SWM) department say that 100% door to door collection has been implemented, segregation of waste at its source is yet to be achieved.
As per report from SWM department, 5,000 MT (1 MT = 1,000 kgs) of garbage is collected and removed from the city every day, of which 68% comes from houses and 14% from schools, colleges and institutions. Moreover there are about 19,073 conservancy workers collecting and sorting Chennai’s waste on a daily basis. Furthermore, a Chennai Corporation official tells TNM that north Chennai fares well as far as waste management is concerned when compared to other parts of the city.
Presently Chennai has 177 functional micro composting yards, including seven vermicomposting centers, 26 biogas composting centers, and five bio-thermal composting centers. Moreover, the proposal to build 17 RRC is also currently underway. Further Chennai Corporation has also joined hands with the State Horticulture Department to selling the compost from its composting centers.
Nirav Modi remanded to Prison until November 11 London sources reported that fugitive diamond trader Nirav Modi, who is fighting extradition to India on charges over the nearly USD 2 billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud and money laundering case, on Thursday was remanded to prison until November 11 after he appeared via video link from his London jail for a regular remand hearing.
- Kamala Harris asked Twitter to suspend Trump's account for attacking lawmakers
- Rajnath Singh hit back at Congress against human rights violations
- African Mona Lisa painting fetched pre-auction estimate of £1.1 million
- Investors can find no better place in the world than India: Nirmala Sitharaman
- TN Govt directed all blood banks in Tamilnadu to use Blood Donation feature on Facebook
- Exide industries launches e-vehicle in name of Exide Neo
- Jio alleged Airtel, Vodafone Idea & BSNL fraudulently masquerading against violation of IUC Regulations
- NorthEast Monsoon finally arrived South India
- Why Sourav Ganguly met Amit Shah a day before emerging as BCCI president?
- Will BJPs Abhe Singh Yadav retain constituency in Haryana Assembly Elections?
- CM KCR been cornered to the core in RTC strike issue
- Karti Chidambaram maintained he will appeal in right manner after whatever court says
- Watch this Video of Kerala Man caught in grip of Python, being saved
- NTA handed credentials of 19 students suspected of hiring impersonators in NEET Impersonation scam
- Sunni Waqf board seeks withdrawal of title dispute on last day of SC hearing