Chennai sources stated that the Madras high court has observed that considering the cost of the transponders and the continuous problems which the fishermen face all along, the government should come forward to provide financial assistance to the fishermen by extending the subsidy to the maximum. Meanwhile a division bench comprising Justices S.Manikumar and Subramonium Prasad posted to October 12, further hearing of the petition filed by Fisherman Care, represented by its president LTA Peter Rayan.
Accordingly an officer from ISRO appeared before the Bench and explained about functioning of transponders. Meanwhile it was also explained that to fix one transponder the cost will be around Rs 40,000. Recording the same, the bench made the above observation. Furthermore Deputy Inspector general of Indian Coast Guard ,Dony Michael filed a report before the court.
Further in his report, he said non-mechanized or country crafts were not
fitted with any of the communication/navigational equipment. Moreover distress
Alert Transponders (DATS) (to be transmitted only in distress), developed by
ISRO have been issued to fishermen at subsidized rates. Further presently
fitments of AIS transponder on-board fishing boats were not mandatory and hence
none of the fishing boats were fitted with AIS transponder. He added
"Matter for fitment of VHF sets on-board country crafts was essentially
recommended and may be made compulsory for positive registration".
Man kills woman and commits suicide! A man from Suramangalam located in Salem cut the throat of a woman who had extra marital affair with him, and later hanged himself. These shocking death incidents took place in an ice cream shop owned by a person from Suramangalam named as Pandiarajan.
- Kerala daughter takes bold step for dad!
- Decades long rivalry ends peacefully between Mayawati & Mulayam
- Why Priyanka Chaturvedi quit Congress?
- Tamilnadu Final voter turnout was 71.87%
- This 100 year Man ready to cast his vote for Kerala LS Polls
- Will TDP have advantage over YSRCP for the big day?
- Will Rajinikanth political entry coincide with next Assembly polls?
- Should people's grievances & issues also wait till AP results are out?
- Will Jagan save the punters this time?
- Janasena Silent Voting Makes Chandrababu Sleepless
- Why PK team left before the AP results out?
- Chandrababu Behind EVMs Malfunctioning in Andhra Pradesh
- LV Subrahmanyam Gets Time for Taking Revenge on Chandrababu
- Man kills wife by cutting head!
- BJP MLA says Kumarasamy is buffalo!