Accordingly the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government on 10 June 2002 proposed Dr. Kalam's name for the Presidential post to the Leader of Opposition, Congress President Sonia Gandhi. Meanwhile the Nationalist Congress Party and the Samajwadi Party supported his candidature. Furthermore Dr. Kalam served as the President of India from 25 July 2002 to 25 July 2007 and he won the election, getting 922,884 votes, thus defeating Lakshmi Sehgal, who got 107,366 votes.
Dr. Kalam succeeded K.R. Narayanan as the 11th President of India. Moreover he was the third President of India to have received the prestigious Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian honor. It was earlier given to Dr. Sarvapali Radhakrishnan in 1954 and Dr. Zakir Hussain in 1963 and further he were the first bachelor and scientist to reside in the Rashtrapati Bhavan and hence Dr. Kalam was affectionately called the People's President.
According to him, the toughest decision taken by him as President was signing the Bill of Office of Profit. Moreover he was criticized as a President for his inaction to decide the fate of 20 mercy petitions out of 21, including that of the Kashmiri Terrorist Afzal Guru, who was convicted for the Parliament attacks in December 2001.
Will justice be delivered to RTC Employees & People of Telangana? Hyderabad sources stated that with the Telangana State Road Transport Corporation (TSRTC) strike entering the tenth day, the agitating workers had organized a 'Raasta Roko' (road blockage) protests in all districts across the state on Tuesday. Meanwhile the Joint Action Committee (JAC) president Ashwathama Reddy said that this was not some kind of ordinary strike, and it was meant for the ensuring that justice is delivered to RTC employees and the people of Telangana.
- Chiranjeevi To Bridge The Gap Between Tollywood and Jagan
- Is it Self Dismiss? Or Self-Goal?
- PM Modi addressed rally at Kurukshetra in support of BJP candidate for Haryana assembly election
- HAL Employees to continue indefinite strike, talks failed
- Chennai will finally get a mayor after a gap of Eight years
- Reliance Jio unveiled an AI based Video Call Assistant (Bot) at India Mobile Congress (IMC) 2019
- Jagan Becoming Headache To KCR
- Heavy rain likely to lash Coastal AP: IMD
- Delhi Pollution Control Committee started night patrolling to prevent dust emission
- Why Pakistan is isolated by all countries in FATF?
- Jagan Proves To Be Rightful Than Chandrababu
- IRCTC IPO subscribed nearly 112 times on back of strong demand across investor categories
- Quality of Air in Delhi is very poor
- Mobile Phones rings in Kashmir Valley after 68 days
- 10,000 HAL workers begins their Indefinite Strike