In another mythology which is prevalent in the eastern and northern states of India, Goddess Durga kills the demon Mahishasura to bring peace to Earth. The festival of Navaratri is celebrated because here also the battle between the Goddess and the demon spans ten days. On the tenth day, the Goddess Durga kills Mahishasura and the day is celebrated as Vijayadasami meaning the ‘victory that was attained on the tenth day’.
Each of the preceding nine days of Vijayadasami is dedicated to a specific powerful manifestation of Goddess Durga and people in Northern and Western parts of the region fast while worshiping the nine forms of the Goddess. The eastern and north-eastern parts of India do not fast during Durga Pooja as it is a celebratory time for them and they enjoy the festival with much pomp and fervor.
Goddess Durga is worshiped for five days in eastern and northeastern parts of the country and on the tenth day, the idol is immersed in water bodies marking the end of festivities.
Indian Cricket Team's Bus Driver reveals about Dhoni, Raina, Kohli Jeff Goodwin has been India's Bus Driver since the 1999 Cricket World Cup. Indian Cricket Team is currently having a tough time as they tour England. After winning the T20 series, India lost the ODI series to England. Now, the longer format of the game with the white ball is all set to begin on August 1st.
- Is Tamilnadu a Garbhagriha if India is a Temple
- GST Council reduces tax rates
- Kollywood Actors pitch in for Cyclone Gaja
- Why Pawan halted his Praja Porata Yatra abruptly & left to Mumbai?
- California Wildfire death toll Rose to 80
- What astrologers say various political entities in Telangana elections 2018?
- Andhra Man found under Moving Train, Escaped miraculously Watch this VIDEO!
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway in Gurgaon
- Telangana Polls : TRS Vs Mahakutami - Ramana promises Mahakutami will bring down KCR family
- Revanth Ready set to score a hat-trick this time
- Dog meat controversy catches fire!
- CM yet to visit Delta - The reasons?
- People surround ministers in Orathanadu!
- Rain warnings for Delta districts!
- Not mandatory to provide Aadhaar to appear for Neet, UGC & CBSE exams