Tamils, Telugus and Kannadigas celebrate Deepaavali (not Diwali). Meanwhile Kerala in the south does not celebrate Deepaavali. In Kerala, King Bali's death is associated with this day. The stories behind the Deepaavali in the south and Diwali in the north are different. In the south it is not about Rama returning to Ayodhya, but it is about some Asura (demon) called Narakasura being killed by Krishna or Kali (Sakthi).
Some 30 years ago or so only a small fraction of Tamils, say like 10-15% of the people, celebrated, even in a big city like Chennai (then called Madras). The number of people who are celebrating it has now increased, but even today, in spite of its popularity, it is not the majority of the people who celebrate it and they don't really connect or identify really.
The difference in the date may be because they signify different stories. The Diwali in South India is considered as a victory of Lord Krishna of the demon Naraka on the day of chaturdasi. During his death Naraka requested that people celebrate the victory of good over evil with new clothes, bursting of crackers etc. People in Tamilnadu do not consider Diwali as festival as lights as we have a separate one during the Kartik Month according to Tamil Calendar.
Has Harish Rao's post given by TRS Party Supreme KCR? According to sources TRS Supremo K Chandrashekar Rao, who was elected for a second consecutive term as the chief minister of Telangana chose his son K Taraka Rama Rao as the working president of his party. Meanwhile in an announcement made a day after KCR took oath as the second chief minister of the youngest Indian state, he declared KTR as the TRS working president and the party
- TRS party considering giving a representation to EC regarding symbol issues
- 13 Miners trapped in Coal pit yet to be rescued
- Donald Trump's son-in-law short listed for President's next chief of staff
- Rehana Fathima gets a bail and ban!
- BJP to focus on caste based votes!
- BJP corners Rahul Gandhi now!
- TTV Dinakaran wishes Senthil Balaji!
- Will Owaisi help YS Jagan?
- KTR becomes Working President of TRS Party
- Rajinikanth targeted Centre on the Mekedatu issue
- Will Rahul Gandhi apologize PM in Rafael Deal issue?
- Top mentioned Telangana Candidates in Twitter
- Cyclonic Storm prevails over AP & North Tamilnadu
- Interpol issued RCN to Mehul Choksi
- Ambani spent 100 Crores for Isha Ambani's Wedding