Colombo sources stated that former strongman Mahinda Rajapaksa Monday assumed charge as Sri Lanka's new Prime Minister after the surprise sacking of his predecessor Ranil Wickremesinghe by President Maithripala Sirisena which plunged the island nation into an unprecedented political crisis. Meanwhile officials from his Sri Lanka People's Party (SLPP) said Rajapaksa assumed the duties in the prime minister's secretariat which was not used by the ousted Prime Minister Wickremesinghe.
As per report Sirisena on Friday night sacked Wickremesinghe and appointed Rajapaksa as the new prime minister in a surprise move that is being debated as a constitutional coup. Furthermore Sirisena also suspended parliament till November 16 after Wickremesinghe sought an emergency session to prove his majority. Earlier on Sunday, Sri Lankan Parliament's Speaker Karu Jayasuriya recognized Wickremesinghe as the prime minister.
Moreover Wickremesinghe continues to remain in his Temple Trees office cum residence of the prime minister. Accordingly Rajapaksa in his statement last night called for a snap parliamentary election to end the impasse. Hence the UNP said they rejected all personal allegations made by President Sirisena against Wickremesinghe.
Infosys co-founder awarded honorary degree of Doctor of Science by University of London Reportedly Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy on Friday was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Royal Holloway, University of London, for his outstanding contribution to the field of Computer Science and the role model he represents in India and on the global stage.
- Holiday declared for all schools & colleges in Karnataka today due to Heavy Rain
- 4 Dams shutters opened in Kerala due to heavy rain
- To boost MSME CM Jagan launched "YSR Navodayam"
- Telangana ACB looks into ESI Medicine supplies scam
- PM Modi had asked people to send their ideas for his Independence speech
- 3 Day heavy rain warning given to Telangana: IMD
- Who is role model in AP?
- Will Anna Canteen workers be paid their salary?
- Your Porn viewing habits tracked by Google & Facebook
- Heavy Rain lashing Kerala
- AP state Govt Employees to get 30% HRA
- WB decided not to fund Amaravati Sustainable Capital City Development Project
- Central Government Behind World Bank Refusing Loan for Amaravati?
- Edappadi announced 2 New Districts for Tamilnadu
- Complaints Against Bigg Boss 3 Reaches Delhi