In Kerala, the festival of light used to be celebrated a night after Diwali to mark the return of a benevolent demon king Mahabali to the earth. It is now celebrated as a 10 day Onam festival.
According to Bhavishyottara Purana and Brahma Vaivarta Purana, king Mahabali was banished to depths by the Vamana incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Medieval author Al-Biruni has given a detailed account of rituals, practices and tradition of Indian people.
In his Tarikh Al-Hind, he said that Lakshmi, the wife of Vasudeva, set Bali (Mahabali) free for a day in a year and allowed him to return to the earth. Al-Biruni described this festival as Balirajya.
Why YS Jagan Sister made a complaint with Hyderabad Police? Reports added Mohan Reddy's sister YS Sharmila on Monday lodged a complaint with Hyderabad Police Commissioner seeking action against those trying to defame her by spreading rumors on social media. Furthermore she said "Some unknown people defamed me before 2014 elections by spreading fake rumors that she is having a relationship. Again, some people are trying to defame me on social media”.
- Mahesh Kathi comes with another controversy with Pawan Kalyan
- Trump ordered American feast of burgers for visiting football team
- Telugu comedian Brahmanandam undergone bypass surgery
- AK Sikri declines joining commonwealth tribunal!
- Kodanadu estate case investigation in peaks!
- UP minister's tells people to burn politicians!
- Supreme Court notice to central govt!
- A Judge partially blocked a set of Trump administration rules
- Follow Indian Traditions Leave Western Lifestyles: Venkaiah Naidu
- Unresolved differences between Kanchi Seer and Mahatma Gandhi continues
- Cockpit Voice recorder of Lion Air Jet found
- Modi said BJP worker is driven by National Interest & not by any self-interest
- KCR plans that will last generations
- RBI tokenizes transactions made through Debit, Credit & Prepaid Cards in India
- TNSTC announced it will operate an additional 14,263 services for Pongal