In Kerala, the festival of light used to be celebrated a night after Diwali to mark the return of a benevolent demon king Mahabali to the earth. It is now celebrated as a 10 day Onam festival.
According to Bhavishyottara Purana and Brahma Vaivarta Purana, king Mahabali was banished to depths by the Vamana incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Medieval author Al-Biruni has given a detailed account of rituals, practices and tradition of Indian people.
In his Tarikh Al-Hind, he said that Lakshmi, the wife of Vasudeva, set Bali (Mahabali) free for a day in a year and allowed him to return to the earth. Al-Biruni described this festival as Balirajya.
Tamilnadu CM visited Cyclone Gaja hit areas Sources from Pudukottai stated that Tamilnadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami on Tuesday visited the districts hit by Cyclone Gaja, distributed relief materials among the affected people and indicated he would meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi later this week to seek central assistance.
- Why Ivanka Trump sent Official emails from Personal email Account?
- Firing at Chicago Mercy Hospital kills 3
- Indian Cricket Team's Bus Driver reveals about Dhoni, Raina, Kohli
- Is Tamilnadu a Garbhagriha if India is a Temple
- GST Council reduces tax rates
- Kollywood Actors pitch in for Cyclone Gaja
- Why Pawan halted his Praja Porata Yatra abruptly & left to Mumbai?
- California Wildfire death toll Rose to 80
- What astrologers say various political entities in Telangana elections 2018?
- Andhra Man found under Moving Train, Escaped miraculously Watch this VIDEO!
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway in Gurgaon
- Telangana Polls : TRS Vs Mahakutami - Ramana promises Mahakutami will bring down KCR family
- Revanth Ready set to score a hat-trick this time
- Dog meat controversy catches fire!
- CM yet to visit Delta - The reasons?