Diwali holds immense significance for Jains and Sikhs as well. As per Jain tradition, Lord Mahavira attained Nirvana on Diwali. Devotees celebrate this occasion by lighting lamps. In 600 AD, Guru Hargobind, the sixth guru of Sikhs was set free from imprisonment after fifteen years on Diwali. Sikh devotees celebrated the occasion by lighting earthen lamps in their homes.
For many communities, Diwali marks the beginning of a new year in the Vikram Samvat calendar, which is used for calculating the date and time of various social rituals and festivals.
It is believed that king Vikramaditya ascended the throne on Diwali. He launched a new calendar to celebrate his coronation, which became popular in various parts of the country. It is still in use for religious purposes.
Tougher laws & stricter implementation for rapism & Murder against girls: Rajinikanth Chennai sources stated that top actor Rajinikanth, who is expected to foray into politics, said on Monday that the implementation of the demonetization exercise by the Centre was flawed. Meanwhile the Tamil superstar, when asked about his view on the impact of demonetization vis-a-vis its second anniversary, told reporters that "the implementation was flawed. It is a matter that should be discussed in detail."
- Cochin International Airport bags an award
- 1000 War rockets to be preserved at Museum
- TN Matriculation Head orders Schools not to collect Money by threatening parents
- Alibaba makes record selling in first five minutes & $10 billion figure achieved
- Distributing 1 Lakh Cows per year is in BJPs Manifesto
- 69% Pakistanis aged 15-65 years don't know what the Internet is!!!
- Why Pasupuleti Balaraju quit TDP joined Janasena Party?
- Telangana Polls scheduled to be held by December 7
- Trump missing from one of weekend's most powerful images
- TRS MP Kavita attacked TPCC Chief
- Stalin condemns Periyar caste reference!
- Gaja storm getting intensified!
- Sivakasi laborers set to lose jobs!
- Viral video from Kaduvetti guru son!
- TRS released list of candidates for 107 of 119 Assembly Constituencies