Chennai sources stated that Cyclonic storm Gaja will cross Tamilnadu coast between Cuddalore and Pamban on November 15, bringing heavy rainfall coupled with gale wind, the Meteorological office said on Monday as the state government put its machinery on alert and kept on standby 30,500 rescue personnel. Meanwhile the neighboring union territory of Puducherry, which is also covered by the cyclone alert, said it is on high alert as well and precautionary steps are being taken to meet the situation.
Furthermore the IMD said in its latest bulletin the cyclone lay about 720 km east northeast of Chennai over the Bay on Monday and it is very likely to move west southwestwards and intensify further into a severe cyclonic storm by Tuesday. Accordingly Tamilnadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami chaired a high level meeting at the Secretariat of Ministers and top officials to review the preparedness in the wake of the storm and forecast of heavy rainfall.
Moreover Revenue Minister RB Udaya Kumar said 30,500 rescue personnel were on standby while arrangements had been made for food and shelter at relief centres for those in low lying areas. Presently across the state, a total of 4,399 locations have been identified as vulnerable and teams have been deployed for rescue. Further citing the IMD forecast of heavy rains, the Central Water Commission issued an advisory to Tamilnadu and Kerala authorities to maintain strict vigil at various dams which come under the "cyclone field" and are already 80% to 91% full.
Piety cyclone to cause heavy winds! It has been said that Piety cyclone which has been stationed near Chennai will cross the sea, near Andhra Pradesh today noon. It has been expected that there will be heavy winds, at the speed of 50-60 kilometers per hour. A pressure area formed in the Bay of Bengal has turned out into a cyclone, and this was named as Piety.
- Events at Karunanidhi Statue opening!
- Bhupesh Baghel to become Chattisgarh CM
- AP likely to be touched by Cyclone Phethai
- KTR gearing up for Gram Panchayat Polls
- Will Thoothukudi Sterlite be reopened?
- Owaisi challenges Chandrababu Naidu
- Will Janasena's Fortune be changed soon?
- Is Anushka Shetty ready to marry a Business Tycoon?
- Why Arogyasri Services comes to a halt in AP Hospital from Monday?
- Has Money played major role in Telangana Elections?
- KCRs risky decisions in times are fruitful
- Ranil Wickremesinghe takes oath as Sri Lanka's PM on Sunday
- Why Anushka Shetty missing away from limelight?
- IndiGo Flight from Mumbai to Lucknow grounded due to Bomb Threat
- IFF kick-started in Chennai