Sources from Pudukottai stated that Tamilnadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami on Tuesday visited the districts hit by Cyclone Gaja, distributed relief materials among the affected people and indicated he would meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi later this week to seek central assistance. Palaniswami told reporters here during his visit to Pudukottai and Thanjavur districts "We have sought appointment with him (Modi) and also expected that it could be given day after tomorrow (Thursday). The state government will certainly take steps to get central funds and submit details of the damage with proof".
Accordingly the cyclone crossed the coast near Vedaranyam in Nagapattinam district, about 300 km from Chennai, with a speed of up to 120 kmph last Friday, claiming 46 lives and leaving a trail of destruction in over 10 districts in southern Tamilnadu. As per report relief work was hampered after various parts of the Cauvery delta region, including the cyclone hit Nagapattinam and Thiruvarur districts, were lashed by heavy rains since Tuesday morning and the weather office has forecast heavy rains in the region under the influence of a well-marked low pressure in the Bay of Bengal.
Furthermore amid criticism of his government's handling of the situation, the chief minister, who announced an Rs 1,000 crore package on Monday for immediate relief and rehabilitation work, urged the Opposition to bury political differences and contribute towards the relief activities.
Top House Democrats raised prospect of impeachment for Trump Washington sources reported that Top House Democrats on Sunday raised the prospect of impeachment or almost-certain prison time for President Donald Trump if it’s proved that he directed illegal hush money payments to women, adding to the legal pressure on the president over the Russia investigation and other scandals.
- SC dismissed PIL challenging dissolution of J&K Assembly by Governor Satya Pal Malik
- Which Party will win Higher Percentage in Telangana?
- Strange case of a damaging goat!
- H Raja again in controversy!
- Ravishankar firm on program plans!
- People against Jayalalitha's memorial!
- Jaipur Princess filed for Divorce
- Bengaluru boy uses Broomstick to beat his Mother
- Ramdas Athawale slapped by 30 old man at a public event in Maharashtra
- KTR openly claims that TRS would return to power with 100 seats
- Will Congress' talks with MIM give an edge?
- World Bank says remittance inflow to India last year was USD 68.9 billion
- Trump's Son in Law had private conversations with Saudi Crown Prince
- Vaiko warned as TN worst affected in India for Mekedatu Project
- Wedding celebrations of Isha Ambani as grand as expected