Washington sources reported US is seeking the extradition of Wanzhou Meng, chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies Co, after convincing Canada to arrest her on December 1, likely in connection with violating sanctions against Iran. Meanwhile China immediately reacted with outrage, demanding that both countries move to free Meng. Reportedly the foreign ministry said it was still waiting for details on why she was arrested, and said trade talks should continue.
Meanwhile it is hard to overstate the significance of her arrest in Beijing: Meng is the daughter of the founder of Huawei, a national champion at the forefront of Xi's efforts for China to be self-sufficient in strategic technologies. Furthermore the US routinely asks allies to extradite drug lords, arms dealers and other criminals, arresting a major Chinese executive like this is rare if not unprecedented.
Andrew Gilholm, director of North Asia analysis at Control Risks Group, said by phone "The timing and manner of this is shocking and it is not often the phrase OMG appears in our internal email discussions." latest US action against Huawei may be even more significant. Moreover the company has made advances in developing its own microchips; it still relies on American equipment to make its networking gear and smart phones. Reportedly ZTE Corp, another Chinese technology company, nearly collapsed due to US penalties for violating Iran sanctions before Trump rescued it following a request from Xi.
Philippines bags Miss Universe 2018 Crown As per report India's Nehal Chudasama failed to make it to the Top 20 of the Miss Universe 2018 pageant, where Catriona Elisa Gray from Philippines pipped 93 contestants from around the world to emerge the winner as chosen by an all women jury. Reportedly India had pinned high hopes on Nehal, 22, to end a long drought for the country at the pageant as Lara Dutta had last brought back the crown in 2000.
- Pawan is becoming a sample for social media trollers
- Russian President Putin's calendar sales in Japan in peak
- KCR planning something big against Naidu politically
- Despite promises, the intention to arrest Mallya!
- Orange alert for Andhra and Pondy!
- Rahul Gandhi, the PM Candidate!
- 50 Trains cancelled in Coastal AP due to Cyclone Phethai
- Tropical cyclone off the Coast in Australia
- KTR becomes TRS Working President
- I have strength to defeat PM: MK Stalin
- KCRs First Election Promise been fulfilled
- Bangladesh celebrated 47th Victory Day
- IMD says Cyclone Phethai was 270 km off coast of Kakinada
- Male Elephant passed away while crossing electrocuted fence
- Karunanidhi statue unveiled in DMK HQ