Following the green tribunal verdict ordering the reopening Sterlite copper plant in Thoothukudi, the people of the city have been agitated, and have started to protest against the verdict. In Thoothukudi, the people of the city had conducted protests for 100 days, fighting against the banning of the copper smelter plant, and on the 100th day, the protesters had planned to surround the collector office in Thoothukudi and went on a march.
During that moment the police opened fire, and in the shootout, 13 people were killed, and following this, the TN government, after facing severe backlash, sealed the plant permanently and closed it. The Vedanta groups which own Sterlite had filed a case against this closure in the Green tribunal. The green tribunal had ordered Vedanta to process the reopening of the plant, and the TN govt had appealed against the verdict in Supreme Court.
However, the Supreme Court dismissed the TN govt plea, and said that the green tribunal verdict cannot be challenged. Following this TN Govt appealed at the Green tribunal but they dismissed the TN govt order to close Sterlite, following which the protesters opposed the move, and protests have begun once again in Thoothukudi.
Guv made remarks on Indian Army's action against terrorist camps inside POK Sources from Srinagar stated that Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik on Monday said India will dismantle terrorist infrastructures inside Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK) if the terrorism emanating from the neighboring country's soil is not dealt with. He said when speaking to reporters
- Jagan Insulted by the Central Government?
- Telangana police seizes AP CM Jagan Car
- First bitter experience for Jagan as Chief Minister at Delhi!
- Reliable Survey Agency about Huzurnagar Result
- AP Farmers exchanges Vegetables for plastic bags
- AIMPLB moves to court seeking no jail term for triple Talaq
- 52 Kgs of Plastic removed from Cow's stomach in TN
- PMC bank scam claims another life in Maharashtra
- Donald Trump humiliated NASA astronauts at ISS for being "first ever female spacewalkers"
- Did Kiran Bedi attempt to give away part of Puducherry to AP?
- IRCTC pays compensation for late running of Tejas Express
- Exit polls predicted comfortable win for BJP in Maharashtra & Haryana
- After unprovoked firing, Indian army kills many terrorists in PoK
- Temporary Crèches set up in Maharashtra booths to help women voters
- Will Siddaramaiah vacate Cauvery Bungalow for Yeddyurappa to reside?