Accordingly a spike in the price of onions has led to the ouster of governments in elections in the past. Presently, prices of the staple have collapsed, and many impoverished farmers are saying they will make Prime Minister Narendra Modi pay in next year's general election. Meanwhile the steep drops in recent weeks in the prices of onions and potatoes have badly hit the rural economy in large states.
Recently loss-stricken farmers have staged protests, blocked highways and dumped onions on the road after prices plunged to as low as one rupee per kg for a crop that costs about 8 rupees a kg to produce, but because of large cuts taken by middlemen, consumers have not benefited from the low prices. Previously in Maharashtra, the top onion producing state, farm prices have fallen 83%, dragged down by surplus supplies from the previous season's crop and lower export orders from the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
Reportedly in Uttar Pradesh, which was crucial in Modi's election win in 2014, there is a similar problem with low potato prices. Moreover many farmers blame Modi for not fixing a price protection program which barely covers 7% of India's 26.3 crore farmers, leaving most growers at the mercy of middlemen.
World Bank withdrew from Amaravati due to Corruption, say AP officials The World Bank has decided not to fund Amaravati Sustainable Capital City Development Project, the ambitious project of former Andhra Pradesh chief minister Chandrababu Naidu. The World Bank's Website marked the project as 'Dropped'. The total project cost was USD 715 million with the World Bank planning to provide a loan of USD 300 million.
- Ganta Blackmailing Chandrababu Naidu?
- CM Jagan Announces A New Record of Both the Telugu States
- Telangana DGP warns about Cyber Criminals Online
- House in Telangana's urban areas will no longer require permissions from local bodies
- Unnecessary issue for Telangana Home Minister by his Grandson in TikTok
- Huge drop sees in Hotel Occupancy rate in Vijayawada!
- Are you Aged yourself in FaceApp which is going viral
- Kishan Reddy To Be Telangana BJP CM Candidate?
- 2766 Crore Power Scam in TDP Regime
- CM Jagan Takes A Historic Decision for Social Justice
- Infosys co-founder awarded honorary degree of Doctor of Science by University of London
- Holiday declared for all schools & colleges in Karnataka today due to Heavy Rain
- 4 Dams shutters opened in Kerala due to heavy rain
- To boost MSME CM Jagan launched "YSR Navodayam"
- Telangana ACB looks into ESI Medicine supplies scam