New York sources reported that US stocks closed lower as the United States government shutdown dragged on and key economic data came out weak. Meanwhile the Dow Jones Industrial Average decreased 5.97 points, or 0.02%, to 23,995.95 on Friday. Accordingly the S&P 500 fell 0.38 points, or 0.0%, to 2,596.26. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 14.59 points, or 0.21%, to 6,971.48.
Furthermore the US government partial shutdown entered its 21st day on Friday, tying the record for the longest lapse in federal funding. Earlier on Thursday, US President Donald Trump tweeted he would cancel his trip to the annual World Economic Forum at Davos later this month due to the shutdown. Presently investors were worried that prolonged government shutdown could hurt the economy and financial markets.
Moreover on the economic front, US consumer price index for all urban consumers fell 0.1 percent in December, the first drop and weakest reading since March. Perhaps over the past 12 months, the all items index increased 1.9% before seasonal adjustment and the decrease was caused by a sharp decline of gasoline price but underlying inflation pressures remained firm as rental housing and health care costs rose steadily.
TN Govt plans to introduce Board Exams for Class 5 & 8 Accordingly Tamilnadu government is going to introduce board examinations for the students of class 5 and class 8, in addition to the already existing public exams for students in classes 10, 11 and 12. Meanwhile according to a circular issued to all the district education offices, the third term exams conducted in schools will henceforth be conducted as public exams. These exams will have common question papers for all the schools in Tamilnadu.
- Guntur District farmer committed suicide, doubts raised
- UK no longer preferred market for Indian investment due to Brexit factor
- Pakistan Cricketers portrait removed from HPCA
- From a farmer's son to People's Hero - Dr. Koti Reddy Saripalli
- DMK Congress deal soon!
- What's the problem for DMDK?
- India receives support from Israel!
- Public shocked after tremors in Delhi!
- APTA achieved India Book of record by making longest bamboo chicken in India
- Budget of Rs 3,116 crore for 2019-20 unveiled by TTD
- Chennai Metro Rail to install WiFi facilities at all stations
- Saudi Arabia-India plans to set up a ''Strategic Partnership Council'
- Donald Trump planning to meet North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un again
- Is Nagarjuna making his Political entry?
- Why Rahul Gandhi made a surprise visit to AP Bhawan?