New York sources reported that US stocks closed lower as the United States government shutdown dragged on and key economic data came out weak. Meanwhile the Dow Jones Industrial Average decreased 5.97 points, or 0.02%, to 23,995.95 on Friday. Accordingly the S&P 500 fell 0.38 points, or 0.0%, to 2,596.26. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 14.59 points, or 0.21%, to 6,971.48.
Furthermore the US government partial shutdown entered its 21st day on Friday, tying the record for the longest lapse in federal funding. Earlier on Thursday, US President Donald Trump tweeted he would cancel his trip to the annual World Economic Forum at Davos later this month due to the shutdown. Presently investors were worried that prolonged government shutdown could hurt the economy and financial markets.
Moreover on the economic front, US consumer price index for all urban consumers fell 0.1 percent in December, the first drop and weakest reading since March. Perhaps over the past 12 months, the all items index increased 1.9% before seasonal adjustment and the decrease was caused by a sharp decline of gasoline price but underlying inflation pressures remained firm as rental housing and health care costs rose steadily.
Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi campaigns for the party in Haryana today According to sources Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will on Monday campaign for the party in Haryana and will address a public meeting in Nuh. The sources said “Gandhi will address the meeting in the afternoon and will reach Nuh in southern Haryana by road from Delhi, and the meeting was finalized after consultations with party leaders of the state”. Meanwhile Nuh is the district headquarters in the Mewat area and falls under the Gurgaon parliamentary constituency. Gandhi is also campaigning for
- Investigations going on in sensational Jolly Joseph serial murders case
- North East Monsoon likely be begin in Tamilnadu from October 17
- PM Modi dared Rahul Gandhi on abrogation of Article 370
- BJP may face tough time in Thanesar seat as Ex- INLD chief joined Congress
- Mobile Phone services to be restored from October 14 at Kashmir
- Will TSRTC Bus services be restored by October 21?
- PM Modi took to Twitter to answer what he was carrying while plogging at Mamallapuram beach
- Bangladesh and Nepal are estimated to grow faster than India in 2019: WB
- PM Modi's translator for Chinese President was 2007 batch IFS from Chennai
- BJP released Party Manifesto for upcoming Haryana Assembly Elections
- Japan hit by biggest typhoon in decades
- India's growth rate is projected to fall to 6%, the World Bank
- Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale: Mamallapuram was chosen by India due to its rich heritage
- Why Jagan Is A Lot Better Than Chandrababu
- AP Government To Buy A Multi-Storeyed Tower At Tadepalli