New Delhi sources stated that the Supreme Court on Tuesday asked Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar to appear before the CBI and faithfully co-operate in the probe into the Saradha chit fund scam but said he must not be arrested. Meanwhile a bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justice L. Nageswara Rao and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) must not resort to any coercive action, including arresting the officer. Investigation would take place at a neutral place in Shillong.
Furthermore the court also sought responses from the West Bengal Chief Secretary, the Director General of Police and Rajeev Kumar on a contempt petition moved on Monday by the CBI along with the one asking for direction to Rajeev Kumar to surrender for questioning. Reportedly during the hearing, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal described the situation as "a total breakdown of constitutional machinery" and Solicitor General Tushar Mehta highlighted that CBI personnel were detained at a police station.
Moreover appearing for the Kolkata Police Commissioner, senior counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi told the court "They have asked for surrender when no offence is made out "Rajeev Kumar is vilified. Justice Gogoi said "The problem with you is you assume too many things. What is your problem, you can cooperate."
Jagan's New Rule Detrimental to Investments in Andhra Pradesh? The Ruling Party in Andhra Pradesh has introduced a bill on the employment of local candidates in industries and factories mandate the state government to ensure 75 percent of employment opportunities to locals. It also puts the government under obligation to provide training to eligible local candidates.
- AP Opposition Leader & FM had heated argument about WB funding
- Congress Becomes Headless in Andhra Pradesh
- Will 86 Indian Sailors Held Captive in Indonesia be released?
- Three TDP MLAs Suspended from AP Assembly
- YS Jagan's Bumper Offer to Junior NTR?
- Farewell given to ESL Narasimhan by AP CM Jagan
- AP CM Jagan greeted ISRO team for launching Chandrayaan 2 successfully
- UIDAI to appoint adjudicating Officer to deal in contravention cases
- Picture of Priyanka Chopra smoking gone viral
- Chandrayaan 2 successfully launched by ISRO
- Did Kerala successfully fought against Nipah Virus?
- Sri Reddy is tech savvy & knows just how to use social media
- Telangana CM KCR reached his native village
- Why no Top Official greeted Pakistani OM Imran Khan at Dulles Airport?
- Visakhapatnam facing crunch of Domestic flights