Accordingly when observing that alcohol has destroyed a generation and that it was imperative to protect the future generations from the ill-effects of alcohol, the Madras High Court told the government of Tamilnadu that there were other ways for the state to earn revenue apart from selling alcohol. Meanwhile the observation came on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by Ramkumar Adhithan from Tiruchendur in the Madurai bench of Madras High Court, seeking a revision in the timings of TASMAC shops across the state.
Furthermore in his petition, Ramkumar stated that the state government earned Rs 31,244 crore from the sale of alcohol last year, and that it has been involved in setting targets for alcohol sale in TASMAC stores during festival seasons. Further adding that alcoholism leads to a lot of problems, the petitioner submitted that the TASMAC shops in the state function from 12 pm to 10 pm, and that this facilitates drinking and driving.
Moreover stating that the state government must focus on other avenues to increase revenue, the judges said that villages can also come forward and pass resolutions against setting up of TASMAC shops in their locality as part of their gram sabha meetings. Apparently the state government has to respond to the petition by February 28, which is when the petition will be heard next.
What's the problem for DMDK? Captain Vijayakanth's DMDK is yet to form an alliance with any party, and even after yesterday Piyush Goyal the finance minister arrived at Chennai to meet and discuss regarding an alliance with Vijayakanth, the decision did not arrive even after a day. It was expected that BJP will form a complete alliance and make announcements all in one day, but only ADMK - PMK alliance was announced.
- India receives support from Israel!
- Public shocked after tremors in Delhi!
- APTA achieved India Book of record by making longest bamboo chicken in India
- Budget of Rs 3,116 crore for 2019-20 unveiled by TTD
- Chennai Metro Rail to install WiFi facilities at all stations
- Saudi Arabia-India plans to set up a ''Strategic Partnership Council'
- Donald Trump planning to meet North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un again
- Is Nagarjuna making his Political entry?
- Why Rahul Gandhi made a surprise visit to AP Bhawan?
- Panther seen in parking area of Korum Mall in Thane
- Government of Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Internshala, launches 'Youth for Andhra Program'
- Why KCRs Cabinet has no Women in his Party?
- 25 lakhs be given to family of CRPF Jawan by Kerala Govt
- Surya Kiran Aircraft crashed in Bengaluru during rehearsal
- BJP making desperate attempts to woo its allies