Accordingly when observing that alcohol has destroyed a generation and that it was imperative to protect the future generations from the ill-effects of alcohol, the Madras High Court told the government of Tamilnadu that there were other ways for the state to earn revenue apart from selling alcohol. Meanwhile the observation came on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by Ramkumar Adhithan from Tiruchendur in the Madurai bench of Madras High Court, seeking a revision in the timings of TASMAC shops across the state.
Furthermore in his petition, Ramkumar stated that the state government earned Rs 31,244 crore from the sale of alcohol last year, and that it has been involved in setting targets for alcohol sale in TASMAC stores during festival seasons. Further adding that alcoholism leads to a lot of problems, the petitioner submitted that the TASMAC shops in the state function from 12 pm to 10 pm, and that this facilitates drinking and driving.
Moreover stating that the state government must focus on other avenues to increase revenue, the judges said that villages can also come forward and pass resolutions against setting up of TASMAC shops in their locality as part of their gram sabha meetings. Apparently the state government has to respond to the petition by February 28, which is when the petition will be heard next.
Jagan's New Rule Detrimental to Investments in Andhra Pradesh? The Ruling Party in Andhra Pradesh has introduced a bill on the employment of local candidates in industries and factories mandate the state government to ensure 75 percent of employment opportunities to locals. It also puts the government under obligation to provide training to eligible local candidates.
- AP Opposition Leader & FM had heated argument about WB funding
- Congress Becomes Headless in Andhra Pradesh
- Will 86 Indian Sailors Held Captive in Indonesia be released?
- Three TDP MLAs Suspended from AP Assembly
- YS Jagan's Bumper Offer to Junior NTR?
- Farewell given to ESL Narasimhan by AP CM Jagan
- AP CM Jagan greeted ISRO team for launching Chandrayaan 2 successfully
- UIDAI to appoint adjudicating Officer to deal in contravention cases
- Picture of Priyanka Chopra smoking gone viral
- Chandrayaan 2 successfully launched by ISRO
- Did Kerala successfully fought against Nipah Virus?
- Sri Reddy is tech savvy & knows just how to use social media
- Telangana CM KCR reached his native village
- Why no Top Official greeted Pakistani OM Imran Khan at Dulles Airport?
- Visakhapatnam facing crunch of Domestic flights