Accordingly a day after announcing the poll date for Tamilnadu’s tryst with the Lok Sabha elections, the Election Commission has sought details on whether April 18 coincides with religious festivals in the Madurai district. Meanwhile soon after the EC announced that Tamilnadu would go to polls on April 18, many in the state were quick to point out that the dates coincided with the annual Chithirai festival in Madurai and it is celebrated over two weeks in and around the Meenakshi Amman temple in Madurai, attracting a large number of devotees from across the state and country.
When speaking to media persons in Madurai, District Collector Natarajan confirmed that the administration had been asked details regarding the holidays in the district. He said “We have been asked for holiday dates in the district. We have informed that April 19, 2019 is holiday on the day of Chithirai Thiruvizha and that's what the Election Commission asked us and that's what we have replied”.
Moreover the Collector also indicated that areas affected by the festival could witness an extension in polling time on the day of voting to enable voters to cast their ballot. Furthermore politicians from the state have expressed concern that voter turnout maybe low on account of the date clash with a petitioner seeking to change the date of polling on account of the festival.
IRCTC pays compensation for late running of Tejas Express Reportedly a delay of more than three hours in the running of Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express on October 19 has cost IRCTC around Rs 1.62 lakh which the railway subsidiary will pay through its insurance companies as compensation to around 950 passengers, a first in the history of Indian Railways. The officials said on Monday “The train started from Lucknow at around 9.55 am instead of its scheduled
- Exit polls predicted comfortable win for BJP in Maharashtra & Haryana
- After unprovoked firing, Indian army kills many terrorists in PoK
- Temporary Crèches set up in Maharashtra booths to help women voters
- Will Siddaramaiah vacate Cauvery Bungalow for Yeddyurappa to reside?
- Red Alert warning given in Kerala, Schools, Colleges remain shut on Tuesday
- Jio Launches All in One plans Bonanza for Diwali
- PM Modi feels Tamil languages as Exceptional & World's oldest language
- Tamilnadu shuts schools in 3 Districts on account of Heavy Rain
- KTR seeks Rs.3418 Crore for building Pharma City in Hyderabad
- PM Modi met a young innovator Amol Yadav, a pilot by profession of small aircrafts in India
- Revanth repeats Lagadapati drama!
- TDP To Lose Deposit in Huzoornagar
- Record Voter Turnout in Huzoornagar
- TDP in Jitters Over Reverse-Tendering Savings
- TSRTC Did Not Have Funds To Pay Salaries