Congress general secretary in charge of eastern Uttar Pradesh, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra may make her electoral debut as the party candidate in Varanasi, the bastion of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in what may become a blockbuster contest in the current general elections. The chances for this are ‘50:50’, several Congress sources told the media, saying that discussions are underway between the party’s top leaders.
According to sources, former Congress president and leader of the opposition Sonia Gandhi is among those who opposing the move of sending her on such a big battle in her very first election after joining politics. But Priyanka has reportedly conveyed strongly that she has no worries on winning or losing. Since Sunday, Priyanka has said at least twice that she is ready to contest from Varanasi if the party asks her.
It is not clear however, if the opposing former allies Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj party, led by Akhilesh Yadav and Mayawati, respectively, will support the Gandhi scion and withdraw its own candidate from the constituency. Former UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday named Shalini Yadav, daughter-in-law of a former Congress MP as the ‘mahagathbandhan’ candidate from the temple town
Kamal's MNM got 3.72% of the total votes in LS Polls Chennai sources added that in the first major electoral exercise after the demise of the two Dravidian giants, M Karuanidhi and J Jayalalitha, the voter in Tamilnadu has indicated (s)he is willing to explore beyond the defined boundaries of political discourse. Meanwhile the poll results show the voters' yearning for an alternative.
- Sri Reddy starts her attack on Pawan Kalyan
- Why AP people rejected Chandrababu Naidu?
- 78 Women who made to the 17th Lok Sabha Election
- Logo problem rises in TV9 case
- KTR congratulated Modi for being elected as PM second time
- God Punished Chandrababu Naidu for Troubling Jagan?
- Mangalagiri People Hated Nara Lokesh
- BJP & Congress lost in AP Elections as YSRCP made complete sweep
- Jagan To Take KCR's Route, Delay Cabinet?
- Foreign carrier looking at hiring 300-400 Jet Airways pilots
- Jagan To Personally Invite KCR and Modi to his Swearing-in Ceremony
- Wife beats husband for spying with detectives!
- Why Mega Heros failed again and again in their Home Turf?
- Gold retrieved from robber brothers!
- 5-year-old crosses Marina!