Reportedly watching movies in a theatre will now be costlier in kerala as the 10% entertainment tax came into effect on Tuesday. Accordingly the tax will be collected by local bodies- Corporations, Municipalities and Panchayats. Meanwhile the government had scrapped entertainment tax levied by local bodies when the Good and Services Taxes (GST) came to force in July 2017, but section 3 of the kerala Local Authorities Entertainment Tax Act that empower the local bodies to collect entertainment tax was not done away with it.
Furthermore Finance Minister Thomas Isaac while announcing the decision had said that the government followed Tamilnadu which levies both an ‘entertainment’ tax and GST and decided to do the same. Presently it is estimated that with this the price of each ticket will rise between Rs 10 and 25. It will be levied in addition to the current 18 % GST on tickets.
Moreover the government order in this regard came on Monday with the direction to implement with immediate effect. Thomas Isaac said “Prior to GST, entertainment tax in kerala was collected by local bodies. After GST, the government decided to do away with local body tax to avoid double taxation. But then the GST was slashed from 28% to 18% and many states such as Tamilnadu are imposing double tax. Therefore, we have now decided to allow local bodies to collect this 10% entertainment tax”.
Kodi Kathi Accused Bail Extended The National Investigation Agency (NIA) Court extended the bail period of Janupalli Srinivasa Rao till July 12. Srinivasa Rao is the prime accused in the attack-case against Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy in Visakhapatnam in October last year. The court did not heed to the NIA's request to cancel his bail.
- Jagan Appoints Sub-Committee to Expose Chandrababu's Corruption
- Telangana Kailash Manasarovar Pilgrims who were stranded airlifted
- Jagan Gets One More Good News for Polavaram from the Center
- New Districts for AP from July
- Nandamuri Balakrishna's relative bid goodbye to TDP, joins BJP
- Praja Vedika Building demolished in Amaravathi
- Seven Crore Public Money Siphoned Off in Praja Vedika?
- Tollway price hiked from July 1 in Bengaluru
- Dollar index decreased 0.24% at 95.9838 in late trading
- Controversy erupted over removal of portrait of Rajinikanth from Bigg Boss Tamil 3 house
- Ms Carroll accused Mr. Trump of sexually assaulting her in 1990s
- Chandrababu Naidu's family members security removed by CM Jagan
- What Malladi Vishnu did as VGTM-UDA Chairman?
- Dayanidhi Maran attacks AIADMK Govt regard to water crisis in Tamilnadu
- Slug blamed for delaying dozens of trains in Japan