A major row is underway in Andhra Pradesh even as heavy downpour in the catchment area of the Godavari basin has triggered flash floods in East and West Godavari districts over the past one week. Meanwhile continuous rains lashing coastal Andhra have resulted in flash floods along the godavari river over the past week and resulted in water rising in the Doleswaram barrage. Accordingly 19,000 people have been evacuated from low lying areas and shifted to relief camps.
Meanwhile the controversy relates to politics over the construction of the Polavaram Irrigation Project in the state, which has been contentious from its inception. Furthermore the YSRCP government claims that it was the previous Telugu Desam Party's (TDP) government’s move to construct a cofferdam and increase its height, without completing work on the spillway, which led to the flooding. Apparently the YSRCP government claims that damage in Devipatnam mandal, which is one of the worst-affected areas due to the floods, could have been prevented if the TDP took up construction of the Polavaram project in a better way.
When speaking to reporters earlier this week, Irrigation Minister P Anil Kumar Yadav said, "Even when we declare the third warning as the water level increases, the situation is never so grave. However, this time, even as we issued the first warning, the inundation has begun in Devipatnam mandal. This is only because of the cofferdam. Now several lakh cusecs of water, due to the flood, is splitting in the middle and going through this narrow area of 600 metres. As a result, we are seeing the water overflow to more villages than it otherwise would have”.
No Truth in 19 Cases on Kodela Contrary to the allegations of the Telugu Desam Party, YSR Congress Sources say that there is no truth on nineteen cases registered on Former Andhra Pradesh Assembly Speaker, Kodela Siva Prasada Rao. The Government sources say that there are only two cases registered on Kodela and one of those is about the missing Assembly Furniture.
- Chennai to receive rainfall for next 48 hours
- Heavy rains lashed Andhra Pradesh's Rayalaseema region disrupted normal life
- ISRO tweeted a thank for all the support it received from Vikram Lander
- Astra an indigenous Visual Range Missile successfully test-fired by IAF
- Onion prices goes up in Delhi
- Mamata Banerjee scheduled to meet PM Modi in Delhi today
- Son and Daughter have decided to fight with YSRCP!
- Believe it or not Rs 6 lakh electricity bill for metal roof shed in Telangana
- Latest update on Godavari boat mishap: 10 more bodies retrieved from river.
- Amazon builds largest campus in Hyderabad, as big as 65 football grounds with 49 elevators.
- Uber cabbie sings song for passenger, video is going viral insanely
- No uranium mining in Nallamalla forest reserve: TS assembly passes resolution
- Many tourists refused to wear life jackets in Godavari boat tragedy
- Ex speaker of Andhra pradesh assembly Kodela siva prasad rao commits suicide
- Active SW monsoon to give heavy rains in Telangana: IMD