According to sources the risk of overseas investors in rupee bonds getting caught wrong-footed and weakening india’s currency further is surging as losses this month outpace Asian peers amid mounting geopolitical tensions in the region. Meanwhile according to Samir Lodha, chief executive officer at QuantArt Market Solutions a mumbai based currency risk advisory a sharp drop in the rupee may wipe out most of the profits for offshore investors as they don’t usually hedge currency risk for short term debt investments into the country.
Furthermore any sell-off in foreign holdings of Indian corporate and government bonds may set off a spin which weakens the currency further. Reportedly the surge in inbound investments into rupee bonds was largely driven by carry trades, adding to fears of a quick reversal in flows if the drop in rupee is not checked. Currently the currency slumped more than 3% against the greenback this month, setting it up for its second worst monthly loss in four years, as india escalated tensions with pakistan by revoking seven decades of autonomy for the state of Kashmir.
Lodha said by phone “Though the mounting bets were safe as long as the currency was stable, now many are staring at their returns getting wiped off”. “Any large scale unwinding of bond holdings by foreign investors risks triggering a downward spiral for the rupee to a fresh low.”
Hyderabad Police Commissioner plans for Celebration of Ganesh Chathurthi festival Hyderabad sources reported that Hyderabad City Police Commissioner Anjani Kumar warned anti-social elements of taking advantage of the upcoming Ganesh Chathurthi celebrations and indulge in extortion. Meanwhile he said such anti-social elements will be firmly dealt with under law. Ganesh Chathurthi festivities will commence in the twin cities on September 2 and go on till September 12.
- What did Saudi Crown Prince spoke to Imran Khan about Kashmir issue?
- Priyanka Gandhi speaks up in support of Chidambaram
- Vietnamese Bikini Airline comes to India from December - Ticket prices from Rs.9
- Why Jayalalitha's Niece wants her party to merge with AIADMK?
- Chidambaram's anticipatory bail to be reviewed by SC on Friday
- School prank turned tragic in AP
- Usha Financial Services accelerating 25 fintechs in India to boost digital lending
- SC Judge refers Chidambaram case to CJI - No relief to Chidambaram!
- Why Pawan investing Crores in a Bungalow than on something?
- Kerala Doctors warns people of Fungal Infections after floods
- Facebook and Twitter shuts state backed Chinese accounts
- Chidambaram faces prosecution on Indrani and Peter Statements
- Ola hits milestone of 10,000 destinations last weekend with an interesting customer report
- GAIL plans for expansion of Pipelines & City Gas Network
- 1,000 Indian restaurants decided to pull out of membership and restaurant reservation apps