srinagar sources stated that Faisal Ahmad walked five kilometers from his home in Rainawari in downtown srinagar to a makeshift telephone booth in the upscale Jawahar Nagar to make a voice call to his brother who works in qatar. Meanwhile Faisal says a few PCOs (Public Call Offices) have come up in the old city area following the communication blockade that has been in place since Article 370 was revoked in August, but they lack ISD facility.
Even though most landlines across the Valley have been restored, that has not eased the troubles facing people like Faisal. Reportedly with mobile phones and internet snapped across the Valley, it's deja vu 90s for most Kashmiris, who have converted their landlines into makeshift phone booths and there are long lines of people outside PCOs, most which have come up in the Civil Lines area of srinagar. Perhaps they charge Rs 2 for an STD call, and Rs 20 a minute for an international call.
Moreover Younis has also started a makeshift PCO from his consultancy in Lal Mandi. Even though his PCO has come as a big relief to people in the vicinity, Younis says business is not the sole purpose. He said "It is also to help people to communicate with their loved ones. There are many people who come to us and don't have money to make phone calls, we understand business activities in Kashmir have stopped, so we don't really force people to pay for making calls”.
AP Farmers exchanges Vegetables for plastic bags Vijayawada sources stated that in a first, Andhra Pradesh is raising anti-plastic awareness by offering free vegetables for returned plastic bottles and bags at one of the Rythu Bazaars in Tenali in Guntur district. Meanwhile consumers would get free vegetables of the same weight as the plastic waste they return and the officials said it would also help reusable jute and cotton bags.
- AIMPLB moves to court seeking no jail term for triple Talaq
- 52 Kgs of Plastic removed from Cow's stomach in TN
- PMC bank scam claims another life in Maharashtra
- Donald Trump humiliated NASA astronauts at ISS for being "first ever female spacewalkers"
- Did Kiran Bedi attempt to give away part of Puducherry to AP?
- IRCTC pays compensation for late running of Tejas Express
- Exit polls predicted comfortable win for BJP in Maharashtra & Haryana
- After unprovoked firing, Indian army kills many terrorists in PoK
- Temporary Crèches set up in Maharashtra booths to help women voters
- Will Siddaramaiah vacate Cauvery Bungalow for Yeddyurappa to reside?
- Red Alert warning given in Kerala, Schools, Colleges remain shut on Tuesday
- Jio Launches All in One plans Bonanza for Diwali
- PM Modi feels Tamil languages as Exceptional & World's oldest language
- Tamilnadu shuts schools in 3 Districts on account of Heavy Rain
- KTR seeks Rs.3418 Crore for building Pharma City in Hyderabad