Amavasya, or Amavasi, is the name of new moon night in Hindu religion. It is the first night of the first quarter of the lunar month. Since the moon is invisible on the day, Amavasya is also referred as no moon night. Amavasi holds great importance in Hinduism. Many Hindus choose this day to make offering (tharpanam) to the dead ancestors. There is also an ongoing debate whether Amavasya is auspicious or inauspicious.
The term ‘Amavasya’ is commonly used in all regional languages in India. The fortnight that starts with Amavasya is also referred as the Shukla paksha (bright half of the month). Mauni Amavasya in Hindu Magh month (January – February) and Mahalya Amvasya in Ashwayuja (September – October) are highly auspicious. Similarly the Amavasi in Aadi month is of great importance in Tamil Nadu. The Amavasya in Karkidakam month is of importance in Kerala.
astrologers advise against performing any important ceremony on the day as moon
and important planets in Hindu astrology are not visible. Symbolically,
the period from Amavasya to Purnima (full moon) is considered to be the gradual
awakening and transcendence into the fullness from darkness to the
gradual realization of the Supreme Soul.
Do you about this Famous Brihadeeshwara Temple? Thanjavur Brihadeeswara temple is one of the most ancient temples, situated in the city of Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, India. Thanjavur named after the legendary asura "Tanjan", is one of the ancient temples in India. In ancient days, Thanjavur known as “The rice bowl of Tamilnadu,” was an important city to the ancient Cholas.
- Hindus follows special fasting days of the week
- Temple is a place filled with Positive Vibrations
- Tirumala Information : 14.02.2018
- Goddess Lakshmi in many avatars
- Tirumala information : 13.02.2013
- Hinduism is diverse religion across globe
- Chandra Darshan is a rare scenario, more beneficial
- Do you visit temple on a regular basis?
- Doing Pooja at home is a must
- Auspicious Tamil Month Thai is full of festivals
- Tamil New Year marks special year for Tamilians
- Reasons that Supreme God is a reality
- Tulsi plant is considered sacred in Hinduism
- 'Gayatri Mantra' reciting every morning develops our personality
- Todays Tirumala samacharam : 22.01.2018