Ugadi, a New Year celebration in states like Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka, falls on March 28 this year. As India is known for its versatile culture and the way it is celebrated, even the New Year fest has different names and times in different parts of the country. A festival that is known by the name of Gudi Parva in Maharashtra is celebrated as Ugadi in some other states.
Udagi or Yugadi, which is literally translated as the start of the new calendar Yug (new) and adi (the beginning), falls on the first day of Chitra the first month in Hindi calendar. People begin with preparation of the festival well in advance and the day starts with taking a head bath before break of dawn.
They also wear new and traditional clothes and prepare
a special dish called ‘Ugadi Pachadi’ for relatives and friends. The dish is
made using some seasonal ingredients including raw mango, neem, jaggery,
tamarind and also has chilly and salt in it. These different ingredients
signify varied flavors of life such as happiness, sorrow, anger, bitterness,
surprise and fear.
Chitra Pournami Significance Chitra Pournami is observed on the day of the full moon in the month of Chithirai corresponding in the Gregorian calendar to a day in April or May. The festival is dedicated to god Chitragupta, a Hindu deity who is believed to record the good and bad deeds done by men for Yama, the Hindu god of the underworld. On this day, devotees ask Chitragupta to forgive their sins.
- Today is Akshaya Tritiya, the Auspicious Day for Gold
- Why do we purchase Gold on Akshaya Tritiya?
- TAMIL NEW YEAR greetings with Importance of the Festival
- Importance of celebrating Akshaya Tritiya
- Science behind chanting OM mantra
- Famous Gopurams of Tamilnadu
- Scientific inventions by ancient Hindu Saints
- Goddess Lakshmi in various Avatars
- How is Hanuman Jayanti celebrated?
- Importance of the Holy Festival Good Friday
- Easter 2018: When and Why it is celebrated? What is Easter Egg Hunting?
- Ringing bells in Temple has positive vibration
- Is Lord Hanuman still alive?
- Some unknown facts about Goddess Lakshmi
- Do you have faith in God 365 days?