Dattatreya or Datta is considered by Hindus to be god who is an incarnation of the Divine Trinity Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. The word Datta means "Given", Datta is called so because the divine trinity has "given" themselves in the form of a son to the sage couple Atri and Anasuya. He is the son of Atri, hence the name "Atreya."
In the Nath tradition, Dattatreya is recognized as an Avatar or incarnation of the Lord Shiva and as the Adi-Guru (First Teacher) of the Adinath Sampradaya of the Nathas. Although Dattatreya was at first a "Lord of Yoga" exhibiting distinctly tantric traits, he was adapted and assimilated into the more 'devotional' Vaishnavite cults, while still worshiped by millions of Hindus.
Dattatreya has left home at an early age to wander
naked in search of the Absolute. He seems to have spent most of his life
wandering in the area between and including North Karnataka, through
Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, and into Gujarat as far as the Narmada River.
He attained realization at a place not far from the town now known as Gangapura
in North Karnataka.
Significance of Tamil Month Purattasi Solar month is full of devotional month and no marriage celebration will take place during that month. The Full moon day falls on the star Puratadhi/Uthiratadhi (Aquaries /Pisces zodiac) but the Purattasi Saturdays are very important and special prayers are done for Tirupathi Venkatachalapathy with people following many Vrathams and pujas with various offerings like Chakara Pongal etc.
- Is Lord Shani Dev a Friend or Enemy?
- Why Lord Ganesha idols immersed in water after Ganesh Chathurthi?
- SPIRITUALITY : How to pray Lord Ganesha for better income?
- How Ganesh Chathurthi is celebrated all over India?
- How to impress Ganesha on this Ganesh Chathurthi day??
- Story about broken tusk of Ganesha
- Why Hindus break coconut in Temple?
- Lord Shiva the Final God in this world
- Divine festivals of Aani Month in Hindus
- How to perform Ganesh Chaturthi pooja?
- Lord Ganesh's curse on Lord Krishna
- Happy Ganesh Chaturthi ! Some facts you must know to celebrate the festival
- Krishna Janmashtami 2018 - The Myth of Lord Krishna
- How to do Krishna Jayanti at Home?
- Some facts about Amavasya and Purnima