Another historical reference to Raksha Bandhan dates to the times of king Alexander during his invasion of India. The Macedonian king, one of the biggest and terrific conquerors, King Alexander was impacted by the strength of Indian king Porus during his initial invasion attempt. Following this incident, Alexander's wife, who got to know of Raksha Bandhan festival had sent a Rakhi to Porus and as he had accepted Alexander's wife as his sister and hence Alexander and Porus war was averted.
Another mythological incident referring to Rakhi is as follows. Demon Mahabali was an ardent devotee of Lord Vishnu, and Lord Vishnu was protecting Mahabali's kingdom instead of his own Vaikundam. Vishnu's wife, Goddess Lakshmi, wanted lord Vishnu to be with her. she went to Mahabali in the disguise of a woman and on Shravana Purnima, tied Rakhi on Mahabali's wrist, later revealing the reason of her disguise.
Then Mahabali had prayed Lord Vishnu to travel back to Vaikuntam, and hence raksha Bandhan is also called Baleva due to Mahabali's devotion for Vishnu. It has now become a tradition on Shravana Purnima for sisters to tie sacred thread of Rakhi to brothers on Raksha bandan, as an expression of love for brothers and by brothers to sisters as an expression of offering lifelong protection and love to their sisters.
Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai some unknown facts The Sri Meenakshi Temple is considered to be the height of South Indian Vijayanagar temple architecture. In fact, the temple is as vital to the aesthetic heritage of South India as the Taj Mahal is to North India Meenakshi Temple was on the list of top 30 nominees for the “New Seven Wonders of the World”.
- Holi importance in India - Happy HOLI FESTIVAL!
- Pooja important in daily life of an individual
- Idols worship brings positive vibration
- How to do Friday pooja in your house?
- Do you worship your Kuladeivam?
- Importance of Panguni Uthiram in Tamilnadu
- Tamil Month Masi is called as Birth of Kings
- History behind Mahashivaratri
- Celebrate Mahashivaratri at Isha Yoga, Coimbatore
- How to invite Goddess Lakshmi of Wealth to your home?
- Through Gopuram Kalasam Spiritual power enters
- Pitru Dosh remedies to be followed
- Fasting rules to be followed during Panguni Uthiram
- Why Maasi month is so special?
- Use this simple trick to attract Goddess Lakshmi