Chithirai Festival or Chithirai Thiruvizha is an annual celebration celebrated in the city of Madurai during the month of April. It is celebrated during the Tamil month of Chithirai. It lasts for one month of which the first 15 days mark the celebrations of the coronation of Goddess Meenakshi and the Marriage of Lord Sundareswara and Goddess Meenakshi, and the next 15 days mark the celebrations of the Journey of Lord Alagar from Kallazagar Koyil in Alagar Koyil to Madurai.
People in and around Madurai tell this story as the history of Chithirai Thiruvizha and the wedding of Meenakshi with Sundaraswarar (Lord Shiva) was to happen in Madurai. Alagar, the brother of Meenakshi, was invited. He started on a 20 km journey from his abode at Alagar Hills towards Madurai. Alagar decided to travel disguised as a robber, to protect himself and his belongings.
At times, he had to hide, to avoid getting arrested by soldiers. This and the dense forest of Alagar Hills delayed his journey further. When he was crossing Vaigai river, he learned that his sister's wedding was over. This made him furious. To pacify, Meenakshi and Lord Shiva came to Vaigai river. He chose to give all the gifts that he carried, to Meenakshi and Sundaraswarar in a Mandapam in the middle of Vaigai river, and returned to Alagar Hill without entering Madurai.
Never do these things during Diwali week Even though you should get up early every day, on Diwali day, it is especially auspicious to wake up early, preferably before sunrise those who keep on sleeping till late on Diwali will not be blessed with the divine blessings of Laxmi. Don't keep the house dirty This one is a no-brainer. You should always keep your house clean during the Diwali week. Make sure that your house smells great this Diwali and there is no garbage lying around.
- Taking Oil Bath on DIWALI DAY is a tradition
- Is buying sweets from stores during this festival of lights is safe?
- Diwali gifts between Corporate aids in growth
- Traditions and rituals followed for Karwa Chauth
- Importance of Diwali in India
- Know the Significance & Traditions of Diwali Puja
- Worshiping Lord Venkateswara during Purattasi month
- What is Diwali & How it is celebrated?
- How to download WhatsApp stickers for Dussehra festival
- Places to celebrate Dussehra and Navratri in Delhi
- Seven places to watch Dussehra celebration in India
- Dussehra is celebrated on last day of Navratri on Vijaya Dashami
- Different Dussehra celebration across the India
- Bastar Dussehra: the longest festival in the world
- The Ganga Dussehra of Varanasi