Researchers recently learned that the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement used facial recognition on millions of driver’s license photographs without the license-holders’ knowledge, the latest revelation about governments employing the technology in ways that threaten civil liberties.
But the surveillance potential of facial recognition its ability to create a “perpetual lineup” isn’t the only cause for concern. The technological frontiers being explored by questionable researchers and unscrupulous start-ups recall the discredited pseudosciences of physiognomy and phrenology, which purport to use facial structure and head shape to assess character and mental capacity.
Artificial intelligence and modern computing are giving new life and a veneer of objectivity to these debunked theories, which were once used to legitimize slavery and perpetuate Nazi race “science”. Those who wish to spread essentialist theories of racial hierarchy are paying attention. In one blog, for example, a contemporary white nationalist claimed that “physiognomy is real” and “needs to come back as a legitimate field of scientific inquiry”.
Security in latest iOS version of Apple Reportedly Apple users are being warned to exercise particular caution over their cyber security for the next few days, after the company mistakenly reopened a security flaw in the latest version of iOS. In iOS 12.4, released last month, Apple fixed numerous security bugs as well as enabling support for the Apple Card in the US. But in doing so, the company accidentally reversed a security fix it had previously
- Cisco to ramp up India customer base to 1,00,000 by 2021
- Uttarakhand Police garnered 14.1K followers on TikTok so far
- Samsung galaxy note 10 - Features and price!
- Facebook agreed to $5 billion fine to settle US Federal Trade Commission probe of its privacy practices
- Security agencies issued warnings that ransomware or malware may attack DSLR cameras
- ONEPLUS Launches its First smart TV namely ONEPLUS TV
- Airtel offering extra add-on data for its V-Fiber broadband
- Climate change becomes a serious concern for the world in recent times
- BSNL now increased data benefit with the 151-Abhinandan plan
- Reports surfaced about a miniature Apple Pencil stylus in iPhones
- Latest round of funding made Byju Raveendran newest billionaire from India
- What is expected from Jio GigaFiber?
- WhatsApp Chat History can be backed up from Google drive
- Facts of Social Media Platform
- Reliance JioGigaFiber is expected to launch early next month