New Delhi sources have stated that senior officials of General Motors, from Detroit and regional office in Singapore are here in India to finalize the India action plan. These officials reached on Tuesday (May 16) and since then they have been deliberating on the situation and options for the company. The American car-maker is likely to announce the next course of action for GM in India on Thursday (May 18).
The beleaguered American car-maker may be winding up its domestic sales here while service support and exports from India will continue and in April, GM stopped production at its first Indian plant at Halol, Gujarat, as part of the consolidation of manufacturing operations in the country. CCI has approved SAIC's plan to acquire General Motors' facility in Halol, Gujarat. MG Motor India, a subsidiary of SAIC will move into Halol, only if pending labor issues are settled.
It was stated that the American car-maker that ruled
as the world's largest automaker for 77 years is on a consolidation spree. GM
lost its number one spot to Toyota in 2008. Volkswagen topped global sales for
the first time in 2016. GM’s president Dan Ammann is keen on keeping only the
profit-making units. It recently, sold the Opel brand in Europe to PSA Group
while several other plants were shut which includes manufacturing in Australia,
Indonesia while investments in Brazil have also been canceled.
GM bought out the Hindustan Motors share in 1999
and continued to produce Opel cars at the Halol facility until 2003. After
2003, GM started producing Chevrolet cars at the Halol plant which is now
expected to be the first plant for China’s first car company in India.
Road tax increased for automobile industry New Delhi sources have stated that the cheer that goods and service tax has brought to the automotive market has diminished, with concerns mounting over the risk of states raising road tax to offset revenue loss and was added that Maharashtra has already decided to increase the levy on vehicles by 2% to compensate for the absence of octroi, a state tax which has now been merged with GST.
- EESL soon floats another global tender for 10,000 electric vehicles
- American car maker GM winds up its domestic sales
- TVS Motor Company's growth for 2017-18 is up by 10.6%
- Escenda Engineering gets 100% subsidiary of Tata Technologies Europe under the new ownership
- Around 80% Indians buys fake helmets as they go for cheaper ones
- Skoda Kodiaq equipped with AEB system that detects pedestrians
- AIIMS diesel ambulances will be fitted with GPS: Bench
- Can you identify these cars with their logos?
- Luxury cars will get dearer by Rs 1.25-5 lakh
- Second shift operations at Suzuki's Gujarat plant to provide extra units to Maruti Suzuki India
- Honda Company targeting some Huge exports
- Will this Union Budget 2018 beneficiary for luxury car makers?
- Maruti is confident in adding more volumes in next 12 to 18 months
- Auto scrapping plants save India forex?
- Saurbh Vatsa, a General Motors veteran joined the Indian unit of Peugeot as head of marketing