Reportedly the Supreme Court on Friday heard petitions posing legal
challenges to the Centre's decision to scrap provisions of Article 370 and
subsequent measures putting restrictions on the working of media in the region.
Meanwhile advocate ML Sharma has challenged the scrapping of special status and
bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir into two Union Territories, Kashmir Times
Executive Editor Anuradha Bhasin has sought directions to restore of all modes
of communication, including mobile internet and landline services.
The UN Security Council, meanwhile, is scheduled to hold a rare meeting on Kashmir behind closed doors. poland, which currently holds the Security Council's rotating presidency, has listed the matter for discussion at 10:00 am (7:30 pm IST). It is extremely rare for the Security Council to discuss Kashmir. The last time there was a full Security Council meeting on the Himalayan region was in 1965.
In a separate petition filed on August 10, Bhasin said she is seeking a direction for the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir administration to immediately relax all restrictions on freedom of movement of journalists and media personnel in Kashmir and some districts of Jammu and the direction was sought to enable media personnel to practice their profession and exercise their right to report in furtherance of their rights under Articles 14, 19 (1) (a) and 19 (1) (g) and 21 of the Constitution as well as the right to know of the residents of the Kashmir Valley.
Statement from Tellurian said MoU signed at US in Modi's presence Reportedly US natural gas company Tellurian Inc. and Petronet LNG Limited (PLL) of India have signed an MoU, under which PLL and its affiliates intend to import up to five million tonnes per annum (5 mtpa) of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from America, the two companies announced on Saturday.
- Nitin Gadkari claimed benefits of demonetization will be seen in long term
- Real estate players keen on east and northern parts of Hyderabad
- Nirmala Sitharaman had crucial meeting about disinvestment of Air India
- Why SEBI mulls new mechanism for Auditors and Gatekeepers?
- Bengal Durga Pooja organizers reeling due to economic slump
- Why ailing auto sector been in reverse gear for the 10 months?
- Uber and Ola is preferred over an own car by millennial, says Nirmila Sitaraman on decline in car sales
- Airlines have to pay taxes for certain services
- Mother Dairy increased price of cow milk by Rs 2 to Rs 44 a litre in Delhi-NCR
- Gold rate rices to Peak
- Oil prices recovered some ground, depress demand in the future
- With there be cutting of taxes on Motor Vehicles?
- MPC has cut repo rate by 25 bps to 5.75 percent
- SBI decided to halt lending to dealers of Hyundai Motor India
- India's non-alcoholic Malt Drink Mart gets Coca Cola