On the occasion of WHO World Health Day on 7th April, Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) launched India’s first mental health awareness campaign and website dedicated to young people, It’s Ok To Talk, through a series of talks and a multimedia exhibition in partnership with Instagram.
The event took place only a few days after the Mental Healthcare Bill 2016 was passed in the LokSabha. The latest WHO estimates show that 7.5% of Indians suffer from major or minor mental disorders that require some kind of intervention.
The event brought together youth from across the NCR, mental health experts, advocates and survivors who highlighted the central role of disclosure and talking in the recovery of mental health problems and in breaking down stigma.
Launching the campaign Prof. Vikram Patel, who works with the Public Health Foundation of India and Harvard University said, “We need to encourage and support people to talk openly about depression, to promote knowledge and skills in the community on self-care and to demand action by the government to improve access to clinical interventions for those who are severely affected. It’s Ok to Talk in this context, offers a space for young people to share their accounts of struggle and recovery. There is no doubt whatsoever that we must talk about depression more openly, but we must ensure that people experiencing depressive symptoms are always at the heart of the conversation.”
Also speaking at the event were Jo Agarwal & Ramakant Vempati (Co-founders, Touchkin), Reshma Valliappan (artist and mental health activist), Jhilmil Brekenridge (poet, author and mental health activist), Dhruv Visvanath (solo percussive acoustic guitarist), Natasha Noel (yogini, athlete and writer) and Pramada Menon (queer feminist activist).
One of highlights of the event was a unique exhibition curated with Instagram featuring stories of wellbeing from nine young Instagram users across India. The exhibition featured artwork by prominent mental health activist Reshma Valliappan, author and yoga enthusiast Natasha Noel, artist and founder of Fearless Collective, Shilo Shiv Suleman, photographer, Nayantara Parikh, VisfotakSamagri, Ankha Millo, Deb Roy, Khushnaz Lala, Gauri Arora, as well as by upcoming young artist Sonaksha Iyengar. The exhibition explores everyday struggles of mental health and barriers such as stigma and lack of acceptance. Attendees were encouraged to use the hashtag #ItsOkBaatKaro while posting videos and photos.
The website http://www.itsoktotalk.in/ which is now live, offers youth across India a safe space and community to share their experiences with mental health, mental illness and wellbeing through submitting entries in various media forms (blogs, videos, photos, music, social media posts, art, etc.).
Courtesy by www.newsvoir.com
Tissot, the Renowned Swiss Watch Brand Launched its New Boutique with Brand Ambassador Virat Kohli Tissot, the Renowned Swiss Watch Brand Launched its New Boutique with Brand Ambassador Virat Kohli the well-known Swiss watch brand, known to be innovators by tradition, launched their new boutique today at the Palladium Mall with brand ambassador and Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli. The 300 sq feet boutique, marks Tissot’s fourth stand-alone store in Mumbai.
- Networking with Fitness - Success Script for Media Mantra
- Edenred India Facilitating Easier Processes to Accelerate KYC
- JACK JONES Launches Asia's Largest Exclusive Brand Store At Phoenix Marketcity, Pune
- Jubilant FoodWorks announces joint venture with Golden Harvest to launch Dominos Pizza in Bangladesh
- Statement Earrings Set in Platinum are Top Accessory at the 90th Annual Academy Awards
- Reliance General Insurance Engages in an Innovative Campaign to Fight Crime against Women During Holi
- Horizon Group Launches Luxurious Residential Projects in 'Golden Temple City' of Amritsar
- New Tide Plus with Extra Power Launched in India by Actresses Shraddha Arya, Anita Hassanandani and Sai Tamhankar
- Max Fashion India Presents Max Emerging Star 2018
- Max Design Awards 2017-18 Finale
- StupidApp, Social Gaming & Networking Platform, Joins Hand in Nation Building
- Connecting the Unconnect, The Biggest Challenge for Wifi
- Lakmé Fashion Week and WeWork kickstart the Fashion Incubation Program for Young Designers
- Polaroid Eyewear Introduces its Spring/Summer 2018 Collection with Anushka Sharma
- The Crest Adjudged as Indias Most Stylish Property