Most lifestyle advice tells you to give that glass of wine or cigarette a miss. Serving as a reminder, a new book on healthy living reiterates the advice we know too well, topped off with practical tips that finally help you say ‘No.
"Live Well to 101", a wellness guide by doctor and television presenter Dawn Harper, lists useful tips to quit smoking. Cigarettes don't contain just nicotine but a range of toxic, carcinogenic chemicals you wouldn't want near your body. Next time you reach for a cigarette that looks quite appealing, imagine you licking tarmac, chewing on rubber cement or drinking a cocktail of battery acid, lighter fuel and nail varnish remover.
If you get the opportunity to talk to a smoker who has developed diseases as a result of smoking, knowing their stories might help put off your habit. Recognize your triggers and work on them. For instance, if you reach for the bottle when your kids are asleep, find ways to keep yourself occupied and not be tempted. Offer to drive when you go out it gives you the perfect excuse to not drink. Also understand your alcohol intake. Beers and wines have become stronger over the years so you may be taking in more units than you should, as well as more calories.
Unhealthy foods at work place are dangerous If you tend to keep guards on unhealthy foods down at workplace, you may be at an increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases, compared with those who eat healthy food, says a study. Employees who purchased the least healthy food in the cafeteria were more likely to have an unhealthy diet outside of work, be overweight and/or obese compared with employees who made healthier choices,
- Kajol look classy in this Jumpsuit - Isn't she?
- Ways to fight childhood obesity
- Limiting exposure to mobile in evening reverses sleep problems
- Measures to prevent Aids on World Aids Vaccine Day
- How could help you lose weight and stay fit permanently?
- Talking about food benefits is likely to get your kid to eat healthier
- This Mother's Day, give your mother a break from the kitchen, cook simple dish
- Passive smoking linked with increased risk of hypertension
- Actress Shilpa Shetty's son trusts Tiger Shroff as his inspiration
- Actress Sonali Bendre cried a whole night when she was diagnosed with Cancer
- Dusky beauty Sushmita Sen recently shared an extreme workout video with her fans
- Happy spouse leads to longer married life
- Dont take high BP lightly
- Architect MN Ashish Ganju on imagining a museum of architecture housing built diversity
- Retail fashion brand Lifestyle International completed 20 years into operations