Atlanta sources reported that At least nine employees of an Indian restaurant in Columbia Heights, DC were detained by ICE and taken to the Montgomery County Correctional Facility two weeks ago, according to activist group, South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT). All nine were later released.
Over 500 people responded to a SAALT alert, volunteering to help community members prepare by offering to assist with legal matters, provide language support, and to distribute Know Your Rights materials in DC. There are over 600,000 undocumented Indians alone in the U.S. Between fiscal year 2015 to 2018, ICE arrested over 2,000 Indian and Pakistani migrants alone within the interior of the united states. The number of Indian migrants apprehended along the Southern border tripled from fiscal year 2017 to 2018.
Reportedly “ICE raids are a serious issue for immigrant workers all of the time but are especially prevalent in light of the most recent threats. There have already been multiple cases of ICE activity in our DC communities and that activity specifically targets restaurants and restaurant workers. Right now we need to come together as workers, employers and community members in DC to educate ourselves on our rights so that we are able to protect ourselves and each other in our workplaces, the streets and in our homes.
South Asian Spelling Bee contest won by Indian American teens Washington sources reported that An Indian-American teenager from New Jersey won the 2019 South Asian Spelling Bee, after correctly spelling the word “flipe” to earn the national title and $3,000 grand prize. By correctly spelling the word that means to strip off by or as if by peeling, Navneeth Murali bested Hephzibah Sujoe, 13, of Fort Worth, Texas; Pranav Nandakumar, 13, of Austin, Texas; and
- Global Village Tech Park sold to US firm Blackstone by Coffee Day
- EC calls NRIs to register online to boost numbers of voters being put in place for either proxy voting
- Air India (AI) announced its inaugural passenger flight between New Delhi and San Francisco
- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres came out against changing status of J&K and Pakistan
- Ivanka Trump condoled death of Sushma Swaraj
- How Jammu and Kashmir will cease to scrap Article 370 of the Constitution?
- Trump renewed his offer of mediation in Kashmir issue
- Indian graduate student shot dead in place where he worked part time
- Sand Artist won People's Choice Prize at Boston
- Pink City Jaipur made an official entry in the list of UNESCO World Heritage
- Indian Lawyers who spearheaded legal challenge to Indian Penal Code have come out as a couple
- India rebuffed US President Donald Trump offer to mediate on Kashmir issue
- Indian diaspora getting ready to meet Indian PM with a Texan Howdy, Modi! greeting
- UN body says Many Indians are becoming fatter, many unnourished
- 9 employees of Indian restaurant detained by ICE raid