Chennai sources reported that the Tamil film industry is currently engaged in a standoff with Digital Service Providers (DSPs) in the state. But this has left theatre owners in the lurch and meanwhile they are upset with the film industry’s stance, which they say is unreasonable. Meanwhile no new Tamil film has released since March 1, and business had been hit badly.
Presently the Tamilnadu Film Exhibitors Association (TNFEA) has passed a decision to go on an indefinite strike, starting from March 16. Earlier In October last year, the film industry had strongly objected to the Tamilnadu government's order levying entertainment tax on the exhibition of movies in theatres. Moreover under the order, 10% tax was levied on Tamil language movies and 20% tax on movies in other languages, over and above the GST.
Further in July, following protests and a refusal
from the Producers' Council to screen any films over the 'exorbitant tax',
ticket prices had been revised across Tamilnadu. Previously the Kannada and
Malayalam industries observed a one day token strike to show their solidarity
with the south Indian film industries. Accordingly Telugu film producers came
around on Thursday and new releases were allowed to hit the screens from
Friday, following the DSPs agreeing to reworked terms.
Southern states join hands against Modi!! Despite heavy troubles given to people with demonetization, to the traders and businessmen with the implementation of GST, and the constant failures and non implementation of promised and proposed government schemes leading to a drastic economic downfall, the Modi lead government has been in the rule yet. However, the situation has now deteriorated further. The Modi lead BJP had won the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, winning by a majority of 282 seats, and coming to rule.
- Putin uses election run-up to emphasize Russia's role as a major world power
- Jagan Mohan Reddy will be the new Chief Minister says YSR Panchangam!
- Saudi Crown Prince Vision 2030 seeks to jump-start women's sports
- KCR plans to meet West Bengal CM soon
- Sonia Gandhi feels Modi's policies are dramebaazi
- Issue of No Confidence Motion brought attention of nation towards AP
- Sri Lanka lifted a week-long ban on Facebook
- Why Shami wants to meet West Bengal CM?
- President arrived in Bhubaneswar on a two day visit to Odisha
- US to assess the impact of Heartfulness Meditation on insomnia
- Pawan blasted Chandrababu Naidu, since he is misguided
- US provides 15% of its weapons imports throughout globe
- Presidential period prolonged for Xi Jingping
- Singapore, worlds most expensive city for 5th consecutive year
- Ugadi celebrations and scientific reasons?