Chennai sources reported that the Tamil film industry is currently engaged in a standoff with Digital Service Providers (DSPs) in the state. But this has left theatre owners in the lurch and meanwhile they are upset with the film industry’s stance, which they say is unreasonable. Meanwhile no new Tamil film has released since March 1, and business had been hit badly.
Presently the Tamilnadu Film Exhibitors Association (TNFEA) has passed a decision to go on an indefinite strike, starting from March 16. Earlier In October last year, the film industry had strongly objected to the Tamilnadu government's order levying entertainment tax on the exhibition of movies in theatres. Moreover under the order, 10% tax was levied on Tamil language movies and 20% tax on movies in other languages, over and above the GST.
Further in July, following protests and a refusal
from the Producers' Council to screen any films over the 'exorbitant tax',
ticket prices had been revised across Tamilnadu. Previously the Kannada and
Malayalam industries observed a one day token strike to show their solidarity
with the south Indian film industries. Accordingly Telugu film producers came
around on Thursday and new releases were allowed to hit the screens from
Friday, following the DSPs agreeing to reworked terms.
List of links & locations for donating funds & supplies to Kerala Flood Relief As per report heavy rains and the subsequent flooding in Kerala have wreaked havoc in several parts of the state. Meanwhile as houses have been completely waterlogged and destroyed, many have become homeless and taken refuge in relief camps. Several people have even been marooned in their own houses, without food, water, electricity and other basic supplies and following this, people from all quarters, including
- No 108 Services at night in AP
- 32,000 Servers, 595 Smart Homes in India in risk of leaking data
- States which declared Holiday on demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Ashok Leyland next focus is launching Double Decker Buses in Tamilnadu
- Vajpayee led a dedicated, Careless Work Ethics
- Will 3 UP Airports names be renamed?
- KCR orders Officers to be alert during heavy Rain
- What's Alagiri's next plan?
- Kollidam break leads to flood!
- A never before witnesses calamity in Kerala!
- Vajpayee cremated with National Honors!
- SC told Tamilnadu to scrupulously comply to reduce water level in Mullaiperiyaar Dam
- Hundreds of people fled fighting in Ghazni
- Rescue work in Kerala continued through night by all three defense forces
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cremation held on bank of Yamuna