According to sources Russian President Vladimir Putin asked in the often-combative interview with NBC television that the leading US intelligence agencies concluded in 2017 that Putin personally directed an intelligence effort to influence the 2016 US presidential election to undermine Democrat Hillary Clinton's campaign and boost Republican Donald Trump.
Earlier in February 2018, US Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is conducting a widespread probe into Russia's role in the campaign, indicted 13 Russian nationals and three Russian companies for allegedly backing Trump, maligning Clinton, and engaging in other election interference. Putin said "So what if they're Russians?". They do not represent the interests of the Russian state. "Maybe," Putin said, "they are not even Russians but Ukrainians, Tatars or Jews, but with Russian citizenship, which should also be checked; maybe they have dual citizenship or a green card; maybe the US paid them for this."
Moreover the Russian efforts however are said to go far beyond US
elections: US General Curtis Scaparrotti, the commander of NATO forces in
Europe, told US lawmakers on Thursday that Russia is working to break up the
NATO alliance partly through its online operations spreading false information.
Putin uses election run-up to emphasize Russia's role as a major world power Moscow sources reported that Russia on Sunday is set to elect Vladimir Putin to a historic fourth Kremlin term, as the country faces increasing isolation over a spy poisoning in Britain and a fresh round of US sanctions. Meanwhile since taking power 18 years ago, Putin has stamped his total authority on the country, silencing opposition and reasserting Moscow's lost might abroad.
- Jagan Mohan Reddy will be the new Chief Minister says YSR Panchangam!
- Saudi Crown Prince Vision 2030 seeks to jump-start women's sports
- KCR plans to meet West Bengal CM soon
- Sonia Gandhi feels Modi's policies are dramebaazi
- Issue of No Confidence Motion brought attention of nation towards AP
- Sri Lanka lifted a week-long ban on Facebook
- Why Shami wants to meet West Bengal CM?
- President arrived in Bhubaneswar on a two day visit to Odisha
- US to assess the impact of Heartfulness Meditation on insomnia
- Pawan blasted Chandrababu Naidu, since he is misguided
- US provides 15% of its weapons imports throughout globe
- Presidential period prolonged for Xi Jingping
- Singapore, worlds most expensive city for 5th consecutive year
- Ugadi celebrations and scientific reasons?
- US President criticized by United States for election meddling & other actions