Chennai sources reported that bench comprising Justice M Sundar and Justice Anitha Sumanth passed the order staying construction of Vedanta's (formerly Sterlite Industries Limited) second unit in Tuticorin in Tamilnadu, on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. Meanwhile the bench also directed the Central government to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.
Earlier Stertile had got consent to construct the second unit, as the existing unit remained shut for nearly two months now after the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board refused to renew its consent to operate (CTO) the unit. Previously on May 17, the Pollution Control Board had reserved its order for June 6 on an appeal by Sterlite Copper challenging its decision.
Moreover the High Court had on May 17 reserved orders on a PIL seeking
quashing of the environmental clearance granted to Vedanta's copper smelter
unit. Furthermore Fathima Babu in her petition had sought a stay on the
environmental clearance to Vedanta's copper smelter unit and moreover she also
wanted exemplary cost to be imposed on the company for damaging the
environment. Further the violence during a protest in Tuticorin, seeking
permanent closure of Sterlite copper plant over alleged pollution issues saw
police resort to firing against protesters which has left at least 10 dead and
several persons including police personnel injured
Trump cancelled his own participation in Davos, citing row over his proposed wall Washington sources reported that President Donald Trump on Thursday cancelled the US delegation's trip to the annual international conference at Davos, saying the officials were needed in Washington to tackle the shutdown of the federal government. A statement from Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said "Out of consideration for the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay and to ensure
- Telangana & AP extended time limit for interstate transfers
- Trump coming out with reforms giving H-1B visa holders certainty to stay in US
- SC appoints Ombudsman for Hardik & Rahul comments
- Rakesh Asthana ousted from CBI!
- TASMAC surpasses Petta!
- Congress MP's trolls Amit and gets criticism!
- World's top four Richest Celebrity list with their individual net worth
- RBI Governor to cut Interest Rates
- PhonePe seen a remarkable growth in 2018 in offline business
- Vijayashanthi questions Why TRS shows fake statements
- SC orders protection for counterfeit travelers in Sabarimala issue
- Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali name for US Airport
- Reliance Jio Net Profit jumped to 65%
- Arun Jaitley to increase Income Tax Slabs Tax Rate
- Ola Money Postpaid offers a 15 day credit line to passengers