Chennai sources reported that bench comprising Justice M Sundar and Justice Anitha Sumanth passed the order staying construction of Vedanta's (formerly Sterlite Industries Limited) second unit in Tuticorin in Tamilnadu, on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. Meanwhile the bench also directed the Central government to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.
Earlier Stertile had got consent to construct the second unit, as the existing unit remained shut for nearly two months now after the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board refused to renew its consent to operate (CTO) the unit. Previously on May 17, the Pollution Control Board had reserved its order for June 6 on an appeal by Sterlite Copper challenging its decision.
Moreover the High Court had on May 17 reserved orders on a PIL seeking
quashing of the environmental clearance granted to Vedanta's copper smelter
unit. Furthermore Fathima Babu in her petition had sought a stay on the
environmental clearance to Vedanta's copper smelter unit and moreover she also
wanted exemplary cost to be imposed on the company for damaging the
environment. Further the violence during a protest in Tuticorin, seeking
permanent closure of Sterlite copper plant over alleged pollution issues saw
police resort to firing against protesters which has left at least 10 dead and
several persons including police personnel injured
Saudi Arabia auctions real estates of billionaire Maan al-Sanea Riyadh sources stated that Saudi Arabia will auction real estate owned by indebted billionaire Maan al-Sanea and his company starting next month to help repay billions of riyals due to creditors. Meanwhile sources familiar with the matter told Reuters, Sanea ranked by Forbes in 2007 as one of the world's
- In 2019 Lok Sabha polls, people will defeat BJP: Mamata Banerjee
- MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges
- Trump imposes additional tariffs on China from September 24
- Who is the Baahubali of Telangana?
- Yusaku Maezawa, founder & CEO of Zozo, First Tourist to Moon
- Domestic fuel prices continued to scale new height
- Heavy rains expected today as well!
- Vijaya Bhaskar gets aroused!
- Sunny gets a wax statue!
- A sleep ruins minister's life!
- Finance Minister announced Merger of 3 Banks
- Who is Country's Highest Earning MLA?
- North & South Korean Leaders Meet at Pyongyang
- Guys involved in Controversial WhatsApp chat to kill Defense Minister held
- Centre's decision to ban 328 FDC drugs brought 6,000 medicines on radar