Chennai sources stated that the Tamilnadu government on Monday issued a Government Order (GO), directing the state Pollution Control Board to seal the Vedanta group's copper plant and close it down "permanently" following last week's violent protests during which 13 people were killed in police firing. According to sources the Government Order (GO) said it endorsed the recent closure direction of the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board, and also asked the TNPCB to "seal the unit and close the plant permanently".
Furthermore the document cited the Constitution's directive principles of state policy (Article 48-A) enjoining protection of environment and provisions of the Water Act, 1974, to order the permanent closure of the copper factory "in the larger public interest". Moreover the order recalled how on May 23 the TNPCB had issued directions for closure of the unit and disconnection of power supply to it. The power supply was disconnected a day later.
Recently Chief Minister K Palaniswami said the
government has issued the GO in deference to the sentiments of the people. Accordingly
the locals were protesting for the closure of the factory for 99 days and the protesters
turned violent on May 22, the 100th day of their stir, and 13 people were
killed in police action against them last Tuesday and Wednesday.
MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges Chennai sources stated that Opposition DMK staged state wide protests against the "corrupt" AIADMK government in Tamilnadu, with party chief MK Stalin leading the charge in Salem. Meanwhile besides Stalin, his son Udhayanidhi, sister Kanimozhi and senior DMK leaders including Durai Murugan and Dayanidhi Maran participated in demonstrations held across the state.
- Trump imposes additional tariffs on China from September 24
- Who is the Baahubali of Telangana?
- Yusaku Maezawa, founder & CEO of Zozo, First Tourist to Moon
- Domestic fuel prices continued to scale new height
- Heavy rains expected today as well!
- Vijaya Bhaskar gets aroused!
- Sunny gets a wax statue!
- A sleep ruins minister's life!
- Finance Minister announced Merger of 3 Banks
- Who is Country's Highest Earning MLA?
- North & South Korean Leaders Meet at Pyongyang
- Guys involved in Controversial WhatsApp chat to kill Defense Minister held
- Centre's decision to ban 328 FDC drugs brought 6,000 medicines on radar
- Migrants figures shown a negative growth of 11.6% from Kerala
- Uber's Food delivery launched Insurance Program in partnership with Tata AIG