Media reports added that on the outskirts of Thoothukudi in Tamilnadu, 34 year old Karthiban has gone into a deep depression. He crouched on a stone slab, frantically chewing fingernails on his left hand, he said “He tried, tried to live. But he needed to die, and dying is better than living without his right hand”. Previously Karthiban got injured in 2017 while working at Sterlite’s copper plant here.
Moreover after working for four years in the plant, his medical expenses were covered by ESI (Employees’ State Insurance) payments, but his long wait for a pension of Rs 5,000 that he is entitled to, continues. Accordingly the amount is a pittance compared to his loss, but even that is nowhere in sight. Furthermore there is a deafening silence on the streets and little celebration, as the plant’s closure announcement has changed everything for workers. Further a total of 3,500 workers may be laid off while another 30,000-40,000 people work for it indirectly, in ancillary units of one kind or another, are likely to be affected.
As per report Karthiban is one among the many
injured workers who have not yet received compensation from Sterlite, but some
settlements for families whose breadwinners have died in the factory premises
go up to lakhs of rupees, and are settled unofficially, claims Adhisaya Kumar,
a lawyer who has been fighting cases on behalf of Sterlite workers.
From March 3, eateries no longer allowed to reuse cooking oil more than 3 times Accordingly the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) have announced that restaurants will no longer be able to reuse cooking oil multiple times. Meanwhile the new restriction, which will go into effect from March 3, will prohibit reusing cooking oil more than 3 times by a restaurant or eatery.
- New deadline for commissioning Kerala's Vizinjam Port extended to October 2020
- COAI feels new regulations are vague to violate privacy of users
- Overall Vegetable prices in January declined 4.21%
- BJP to make alliance announcement soon: Piyush Goyal
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick had great time on Valentines Day
- Dewan Housing Finance shares slumped to an intraday low of Rs. 103.95
- Ooty Lake to be cleaned soon
- TN soldier's family and village saddened by death!
- #PulwamaTerroristAttack - Brave Father's inspiring quote after son's death in Pulwama!
- Suicide bomber was 11th class dropout!
- School girl murder mystery resolved!
- Air India flights to Iraq begins operations after 30 years
- Dhanush congratulated Sai Pallavi for beating her own record saying 200 Million
- Protest shutdown against terror attack affects life in Jammu
- Telangana Municipalities good news for Families below poverty line