Media reports added that on the outskirts of Thoothukudi in Tamilnadu, 34 year old Karthiban has gone into a deep depression. He crouched on a stone slab, frantically chewing fingernails on his left hand, he said “He tried, tried to live. But he needed to die, and dying is better than living without his right hand”. Previously Karthiban got injured in 2017 while working at Sterlite’s copper plant here.
Moreover after working for four years in the plant, his medical expenses were covered by ESI (Employees’ State Insurance) payments, but his long wait for a pension of Rs 5,000 that he is entitled to, continues. Accordingly the amount is a pittance compared to his loss, but even that is nowhere in sight. Furthermore there is a deafening silence on the streets and little celebration, as the plant’s closure announcement has changed everything for workers. Further a total of 3,500 workers may be laid off while another 30,000-40,000 people work for it indirectly, in ancillary units of one kind or another, are likely to be affected.
As per report Karthiban is one among the many
injured workers who have not yet received compensation from Sterlite, but some
settlements for families whose breadwinners have died in the factory premises
go up to lakhs of rupees, and are settled unofficially, claims Adhisaya Kumar,
a lawyer who has been fighting cases on behalf of Sterlite workers.
Hima Das name nominated for Arjuna Award According to sources despite her golden run in international athletics this season, teenaged sprint sensation Hima Das said she did not expect her name to be nominated for this year's Arjuna award. Meanwhile the 18 year old Assamese athlete was among the 20 sportsperson recommended for the Arjuna Award
- Korean Presidents signs agreement to Ease Tension
- Ambati questioned Chandrababu's motive behind involving in affairs of TRS party
- Stormy Daniels provides a graphic description of Trump's genitalia
- Rahul Gandhi called Congress Workers been Lathi charged as "dictatorship under PM Modi"
- Saudi Arabia auctions real estates of billionaire Maan al-Sanea
- In 2019 Lok Sabha polls, people will defeat BJP: Mamata Banerjee
- MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges
- Trump imposes additional tariffs on China from September 24