The Madras High Court was scheduled to give its verdict in the disqualification of 18 AIADMK MLAs for activities against the party. The court had faced a number of petitions against Speaker P Dhanapal’s decision taken in last September which disqualified the MLAs who then withdrew support to the current AIADMK government headed by Chief Minister Edapaddi K Palaniswami and his deputy chief minister, O.Pannerselvam. The disqualified MLAs are now in support of independent MLA Dinakaran, who was earlier ousted from AIADMK.
In a most expected verdict, the court has pronounced that the disqualification persists. As the court supports the Speaker’s decision, bypolls will be held sooner for the 18 vacant seats. In case it had dismissed the disqualification order, the AIADMK government would have been in a situation to prove its majority in a floor test in the House. Currently, ruling party is technically in the minority because it has been obvious that the 18 MLAs will vote against EPS and end the government.
With 18 vacant seats, the House is now reduced to 216 members. The ruling AIADMK has 116 MLAs, and the Opposition owns 98 seats, with 89 DMK MLAs, eight Congress and one from IUML. TTV Dinakaran recently entered the House by winning RK Nagar bypolls.
Supreme Court judge wins hearts! Relief materials had been collected at the premises of the supreme court of India, and justice Joseph Kurien actively participating in helping packing and collecting of relief materials had come as a surprise and inspiration for others in the premises. Kerala, God's own country as people call it, had been hit by an unprecedented disaster after being impacted by never before seen huge rainfall in the past 100 years.
- Will Youth involve in Local Politics?
- Iconic ecologist warned Goa may face same fate as Kerala
- Vedanta aims to hike production to 3,00,000 bpd per day
- Why Bushra Maneka expressed her fear after Imran sworn in as PM?
- Tamilnadu Govt will disburse compensation for damaged crops
- US ended development fund for Syria
- Kerala CM feels proud of unity of his people during Flood
- Kerala people's tearful stories of rescue, at relief camp
- Industrialist becomes popular with cinematic apology!
- Hero Cycles ready to give a Brand New Cycle to Anupriya who donated her 4-years savings to Kerala Floods
- #Vijayakanth at Karunanidhi Memorial
- India's first win in Asian games!
- 50 villages in Erode hit by floods!
- Temporary respite as rains lessens in Kerala!
- Will Pawan & Jagan donate generously for Kerala Flood?