Atlanta sources reported that in an election race keenly followed by the Indian-American community, Maryland state legislator Aruna Miller lost to multimillionaire David Trone in the Democratic primary for the vacant seat in the state’s 6th District. Meanwhile the loss foiled her attempt to become only the second Indian-American to be elected to the US House of Representatives after Pramila Jayapal of Washington State.
She said in a statement, after conceding victory to Trone “While we did not prevail, we did make a difference. We stood up to ensure a voice of diversity was part of the electoral process". She added "She is eager to work with the Democratic Party to fight back against Donald Trump this November". Moreover Trone, who reportedly spent over $10 million of his own money on his campaign, won a comfortable victory with 40.4% of votes over Miller who got 30.6%.
Miller added “Her political interest was sparked by
the Bush v Gore election in 2000, where the fate of our country was not
determined by the voters but rather by the Supreme Court. It was then she
realized that Democracy needed her. Not as a bystander or to cast a vote when
there’s an election and she needed to engage and empower others every
EPS spends 15 crores on ads! Former Tamilnadu chief minister Jayalalitha had won the 2016 elections and became the CM for the second term. However within sometime after swearing in as CM her health was affected and she was admitted to Apollo and was receiving treatment for 75 days and following treatment failure, she had passed away
- Chinnathambi locked in cage!
- No to BJP says Sarathkumar!
- Student thanks minister for slipper
- BIG BREAKING - Supreme court dismisses Vedanta 's plea to reopen #Sterlite plant in Tuticorin
- Cryptocurrency - The basics and all you need to know
- Madras HC orders for no flex boards for Jayalalitha's Birthday
- From March 3, eateries no longer allowed to reuse cooking oil more than 3 times
- New deadline for commissioning Kerala's Vizinjam Port extended to October 2020
- COAI feels new regulations are vague to violate privacy of users
- Overall Vegetable prices in January declined 4.21%
- BJP to make alliance announcement soon: Piyush Goyal
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick had great time on Valentines Day
- Dewan Housing Finance shares slumped to an intraday low of Rs. 103.95
- Ooty Lake to be cleaned soon
- TN soldier's family and village saddened by death!