Johannesburg sources reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi held bilateral meetings with presidents of Argentina and Angola on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit and discussed ways to boost ties, including in areas of energy and agriculture. Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted a photograph of Prime Minister Modi and Angolan President Joao Lourenco together at the start of the talks.
"Bilateral meetings continue for PM Narendra Modi in Johannesburg, with the President of Angola Joao Lourenco. Mr. Kumar said in the tweet “Discussed intensifying relations in trade and investment, agriculture & food processing, pharma, oil and natural gas. IndiaatBRICS".
Meanwhile India and Angola have traditionally
enjoyed friendly ties. India supported the Angolan freedom struggle against the
Portuguese colonial rule till it attained independence in 1975. India has
become the third largest trading partner of Angola, sharing about 15 per cent
of that country's external trade. Moreover Angola remained the second largest
source of crude oil for India, after Nigeria, in the Sub-Saharan Africa,
according to information available on the MEA website and there are estimated
4,000 people of Indian origin in Angola holding passports of different
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!