According to sources there has been no respite for residents in Idukki one of the worst-hit districts in Kerala, with continuous rains overnight. Meanwhile the water levels at Cheruthoni dam have touched 2401 feet, just 2 feet short of its full reservoir level and as of Friday morning, three shutters of the dam have been raised, with the CMO Kerala Twitter handle stating that 125 cusecs of water being discharged.
Moreover rains show no signs of letting up, and water levels in the dam continue to rise, more shutters may be opened. Presently authorities have also imposed a ban on the movement of heavy goods vehicles and tourist vehicles in the high ranges of Idukki. As per report for the first time in 26 years, one shutter of the dam was opened on Thursday as water levels rose to nearly 2,399 feet in the reservoir, just 4 feet below its full capacity.
Further Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi
Vijayan on Thursday night put out a statement saying that he had
spoken to Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding the situation in the state. Meanwhile
Pinarayi Vijayan also said that he had called up his counterpart in Karnataka,
HD Kumaraswamy, to enquire about the situation in Karnataka, as parts of the
state were also hit by rains. Vijayan said “Kumaraswamy has said that the
Karnataka government had opened the shutters in the Kabini River to allow the
water from Banasura dam in Wayanad to be released”.
Priyanka Gandhi enters active politics! Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has made an entry to active politics a little ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, as she has been appointed as the Congress General Secretary for Uttar Pradesh. In a press release from the Congress party, it was announced today that she had been given the critical post after being appointed by the party president, her brother Rahul Gandhi.
- Alone time given Me the strength to handle life: PM Modi
- Indian Movie nominated for Oscars
- Will Prabhas get BJP MLA ticket for 2019 Elections?
- APSRTC Employees Union calls for indefinite statewide strike from February 6
- Hyderabad HC issued notices to makers of 'Lakshmi's NTR'
- Iconic Bikini Climber dies on Mountain
- Toyota makes Joint Venture with Panasonic
- India's Air Passenger Traffic hikes
- India facing a rising tide of people unwilling to be vaccinated
- Chinese vendors flooded both online & offline channels for Smartphone selling
- TDP is seemingly attempting to tap into Kapu vote bank
- Former VHP leader's sensational remark on Modi!
- TN Milk agents warn Simbu!
- TRS MP Kavita selected for Fame India Extraordinary Parliamentarian award 2019
- India's first ever all women political party launched in Mumbai