Sources from Panaji stated that popular ecologist Gadgil said like in some other states, Goa, too, is witnessing activities which are driven by greed for unlimited profits, who headed a committee that authored a widely debated study on the Western Ghats a few years ago. He said, reacting to the worst ever floods in the southern state that "Certainly all sorts of problems are beginning to surface on the environmental front in the Western Ghats. Goa, of course, does not have Western Ghats which are as high as in Kerala, but he is sure Goa will also experience all sorts of problems”.
He said "You have seen it in Goa too and the Union government constituted Justice M B Shah Commission has estimated illegal profits of Rs 35,000 crore from illegal mining and there is also enormous profit in the business of stone quarrying while there is very little investment”.
Meanwhile the 73 year old expert said "In Goa,
they had asked him to look into the impact of mining on environment, where every
EIA suppressed fact about hydro logical impact of mining”. Moreover "On
`sadas' (plains) of Goa there are a lot of streams which are originating but
they don't mention about them in their EIA reports. All kind of false statements
are made in these reports”.
CM Chandrababu Naidu unveiled NTR statue Accordingly Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Friday unveiled a 36 feet tall statue of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and actor turned politician N T Rama Rao at Sattenpalli in Guntur district. Reportedly the bronze statue has been erected on a 40 foot platform at NTR Sagar in the middle of the pond and the state government has plans to develop the region into a mini Tank Bund like the Hussainsagar in Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South
- Paytm's New Feature adds benefit to Partner Merchants
- Deepika Padukone titled World's Most Beautiful Bride
- Amazon's New Year Sale delivery makes Record!!!
- Lord Vishnu statue carved from a monolithic block reached Singarapettai
- Jio New Year Offer recharges done between December 28, 2018, to January 31, 2019
- 437 CCTV Cameras installed in Chennai, Kilpauk Jurisdiction
- High Court Justice orders 37 ISPs to block 12,000 Websites