Chennai sources stated that the Centre for Science and Environment has put out a report stating that citizens in Chennai make the longest trips in daily commute and the city stands second on overall emissions and thereby energy consumption among all metros. Reports from Kolkata added it also stands second in fuel consumption and the total number of two wheelers on the roads.
Meanwhile the report titled as 'The Urban Commute and how it contributes to Pollution and Energy Consumption' revealed that emission levels in Chennai and cities like Chennai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad are going the Delhi way. Delhi, however, remained the city with the most polluted air. Accordingly Anumita Roychowdhury, Executive Director, Research and Advocacy, CSE, said, “ air pollution is a national crisis and road transport is the sector showing the highest increase in emission of greenhouse gases and the rate of increase in its contribution to pollution is the fastest, which is bothersome.”
He added "Motorization in India is explosive and initially, it took
60 years (1951-2008) for India to cross the 100 million registered vehicles
mark. However, the next 100 million were added in a mere six years (2009-15)”. Furthermore
after confirming that most non-transport vehicle owners do not renew the PUC
certificate every six months, A Jai Kumar, president, Tamilnadu Vehicle
Emission Check Centre Association, in a report said that on an average only 200
vehicles undergo emission checks every month at each of the 55 testing centres
in and around Chennai.
Supreme Court hearing on Interim CBI chief! Next week, the Supreme Court of India will be hearing a petition that had been filed against the appointment of M.Nageswara Rao as the Interim chief of CBI. After the sacking of the former chief of CBI Alok Verma by a three member central vigilance committee lead by Indian Prime minister Narendra Modi, Nageswara Rao was appointed as the interim chief last week Friday.
- Is YS Jagan is allying with KCR to form Andhra Drohula Front?
- Indra Nooyi been courted as an administration ally by Ivanka Trump
- How to Copy in Exams? Ad went viral in WhatsApp
- Why Shashi Tharoor not allowed into Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala with PM Modi?
- 2 Young Women decided to contest Telangana Panchayat Polls
- 2.0 s costumes, Robot Models exhibited at Chennai Island Grounds
- Vishal confirms his wedding with Hyderabad based Businessman daughter
- 2 Women who unsuccessfully attempted to enter Sabarimala temple begins hunger strike
- Flight operations at Bengaluru airport to face disruptions from February 14 to 24
- Will YS Jagan accept invitation from KTR in joining Federal Front?
- Why YS Jagan Sister made a complaint with Hyderabad Police?
- Mahesh Kathi comes with another controversy with Pawan Kalyan
- Trump ordered American feast of burgers for visiting football team
- Telugu comedian Brahmanandam undergone bypass surgery
- AK Sikri declines joining commonwealth tribunal!