According to sources when the sluice gates of Cheruthoni dam were opened on August 9 to release excess water in the Idukki reservoir, the subsequent floods and landslides took with it several lives, houses and shops at the banks of Cheruthoni and Periyar River in the district. Meanwhile even small bridges in the district were washed away, barring the Cheruthoni Bridge, which continues to remain intact, without any damage.
Furthermore it is perhaps one of the bridges in the state that survived the massive floods that hit Kerala. Reports added although the approach road of the bridge was destroyed, the Cheruthoni dam, which was submerged in the massive water flow, has not sustained any major cracks or developed any issues, say officials, who inspected the bridge.
Moreover some of the
small bridges constructed by panchayats and district panchayats in
Thadiyampadu, Vimalagiri, Periyarvalley, Karimpan and Vellakkayam have been
totally washed out. Accordingly some these include Attukakad Bridge in
Pallivasal and Deviyar Bridge in Munnar and the Aladi-Porikanni Bridge in
Upputhata. Meanwhile even the widely shared video of Attukad Bridge, near
Munnar in Idukki district, collapsing showed the extent of the damage. He said
“A dam expert will inspect the bridge on Monday and as the approach roads are
washed out by the flood, it will be a hurdle to resume the traffic in full
level. The construction works of the approach roads have already begun”.
UK no longer preferred market for Indian investment due to Brexit factor New Delhi sources stated that as per the survey by legal and consulting firm Baker & McKenzie, Indian business leaders are bullish on investments, but the UK is no longer a target country for them. Indian companies are finding South East Asia as a "new land of opportunity". Meanwhile the region has emerged as the most preferred investment destination, second only to the domestic market, for Indian businesses.
- Pakistan Cricketers portrait removed from HPCA
- From a farmer's son to People's Hero - Dr. Koti Reddy Saripalli
- DMK Congress deal soon!
- What's the problem for DMDK?
- India receives support from Israel!
- Public shocked after tremors in Delhi!
- APTA achieved India Book of record by making longest bamboo chicken in India
- Budget of Rs 3,116 crore for 2019-20 unveiled by TTD
- Chennai Metro Rail to install WiFi facilities at all stations
- Saudi Arabia-India plans to set up a ''Strategic Partnership Council'
- Donald Trump planning to meet North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un again
- Is Nagarjuna making his Political entry?
- Why Rahul Gandhi made a surprise visit to AP Bhawan?
- Panther seen in parking area of Korum Mall in Thane
- Government of Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with Internshala, launches 'Youth for Andhra Program'