According to sources when the sluice gates of Cheruthoni dam were opened on August 9 to release excess water in the Idukki reservoir, the subsequent floods and landslides took with it several lives, houses and shops at the banks of Cheruthoni and Periyar River in the district. Meanwhile even small bridges in the district were washed away, barring the Cheruthoni Bridge, which continues to remain intact, without any damage.
Furthermore it is perhaps one of the bridges in the state that survived the massive floods that hit Kerala. Reports added although the approach road of the bridge was destroyed, the Cheruthoni dam, which was submerged in the massive water flow, has not sustained any major cracks or developed any issues, say officials, who inspected the bridge.
Moreover some of the
small bridges constructed by panchayats and district panchayats in
Thadiyampadu, Vimalagiri, Periyarvalley, Karimpan and Vellakkayam have been
totally washed out. Accordingly some these include Attukakad Bridge in
Pallivasal and Deviyar Bridge in Munnar and the Aladi-Porikanni Bridge in
Upputhata. Meanwhile even the widely shared video of Attukad Bridge, near
Munnar in Idukki district, collapsing showed the extent of the damage. He said
“A dam expert will inspect the bridge on Monday and as the approach roads are
washed out by the flood, it will be a hurdle to resume the traffic in full
level. The construction works of the approach roads have already begun”.
Anna University Exams postponed to December 13, 14 due to Cyclone Gaja Recently Anna University has announced that theory examinations scheduled for Friday will now be conducted on December 13. As per report the University has also postponed examinations scheduled for November 17 to December 14 and the examinations have been rescheduled on account of Cyclone Gaja, which hit the coastal areas in Tamilnadu on Friday.
- Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!
- Yogi Adityanath's hug challenge!
- Hyderabad Metro recording footfall of 80,000-85,000 passengers per day
- Controversial Ad of Kalyan Jewelry removed
- Donald Trump unlikely to get boot from Twitter even after threatening Iran
- Pack your Condoms too if you are going on a Tour of France - Here's Why...
- US Officials apologize to Sikh Minister as they forced to remove his Turban
- Two-Wheeler owners to get incentives?
- Leaders can take a lesson or two to watch KTR & Pawan words in public
- Iraqi Airways suspend 2 pilots who fought for food tray
- AP Govt taken a sensational decision restricting CBI's entry into AP
- Mahindra & Mahindra rolled out electric 3 wheeler auto rickshaw in Bengaluru
- Sabarimala Temple Police Officers instructed to follow new Dress Code