Chennai sources stated that DMK on Tuesday demanded that the country’s highest civilian award ‘Bharat Ratna’ be conferred on former party president and patriarch M Karunanidhi who died on August 7. Meanwhile a resolution was moved by DMK lawmaker and propaganda secretary Trichy Siva and was unanimously adopted at the party’s General Council meeting held in Chennai to elect Karunanidhi’s son M K Stalin as DMK chief.
As per report Karunanidhi died on August 7 at a Chennai hospital following a prolonged illness and hence the 94 year old Dravidian stalwart had served as Tamil Nadu chief minister five times. Furthermore he was never a Member of Parliament and previously the party had asked the Centre to posthumously confer ‘Bharat Ratna’ upon Karunanidhi in recognition of his outstanding work and several achievements.
Recently after raising the issue during Zero Hour in Rajya Sabha, DMK
member Tiruchi Siva had said Kalaignar was the tallest leader of the country
and had contributed 80 years of his life to public service, fighting for the
cause of the downtrodden, backward and the suppressed people.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!