According to sources spices, ceramics and cannons engraved with Portugal's coat of arms all lie around the wreck, found near Cascais, close to the capital Lisbon. Meanwhile the team believes the ship was returning from India when it sank sometime between 1575 and 1625 and hence this was at the height of Portugal's spice trade with Asia. Project director Jorge Freire told news agency that it is situated at a depth of 12m (40ft) the wreck was very well preserved.
Furthermore Chinese porcelain from the late 16th and early 17th centuries was also among the wreck, as were bronze artillery pieces and cowry shells a currency used in the slave trade. As per report Cascais municipal council said the ship was found at the start of September while dredging the mouth of the Tagus River, which runs past the resort town through Lisbon. Moreover Mayor Carlos Carreiras told the Guardian newspaper it was an "extraordinary discovery", which will reinforce their "collective identity and shared values".
Accordingly the find is part of a 10 year
archaeological project supported by the town of Cascais, the Portuguese
government and navy, and Nova University in Lisbon and further the Minister of
Culture, Luis Mendes, said the mouth of the Tagus River was considered a "hotspot"
for wrecks. "From a heritage perspective, this is the discovery of the
decade," he said, calling it "the most important find of all
time" for the country.
TN govt against Gaja! The remedial measures and precautionary activities done by the Tamilnadu government have received instant appreciation and praises from people all over the state. Due to the instant action and swift measures taken by the government lots of lives have been saved, and after the Gaja cyclone attack, now rescue mission is in progress,. Gaja cyclone had crossed the sea yesterday morning at Vedaranyam between Cuddalore and Pamban
- Secret pregnancy revealed by actor!
- Post Gaja, there's another threat!
- Vedaranyam heavily impacted by Gaja!
- Chandrababu Naidu leaving no leaf unturned to take on Modi
- Arvind Kejriwal to campaign in Telangana for AAP candidates
- Wedding Photos of Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh leaked out
- Will KTR quit politics, if TRS lost Elections?
- Cyclone Gaja crossed Tamilnadu coast between Nagapattinam & nearby Vedaranniyam
- PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!