New Delhi sources stated that the Supreme Court is likely to pronounce verdict on Tuesday on a plea seeking a ban on manufacture and sale of firecrackers across the country to curb air pollution. Meanwhile a bench of Justices A K Sikri and Ashok Bhushan which had reserved its verdict on August 28 is to pronounce the judgment.
Earlier the apex court had said there is a need to take into account all aspects, including the fundamental right of livelihood of firecracker manufacturers and the right to health of over 1.3 billion people in the country, while considering a plea for the ban. Furthermore the top court had said the Article 21 (right to life) of Constitution applies to both segments of people and it needs to maintain a balance while considering a countrywide ban on firecrackers.
Moreover it had asked Centre to suggest measures to be taken for curbing the pollution and what will be the effect of firecrackers on the public at large. Hence the apex court had on August 8 said a spike in PM 2.5 levels in the air is a severe problem as the particulate matter remains in people's lungs, leading to serious health implications. Previously firecrackers manufacturers told the court that use of firecrackers should not be completely banned and it should instead be strictly regulated. Further they have said the firecracker manufacturers can be deprived of their right to do business based on statements which were not supported by facts.
Appreciation certificate for first voter by EC in Madhya Pradesh In an innovative move by EC today issued a certificate of appreciation to first voter of the day in Chitrakoot district of Madhya Pradesh. Bypolls for assembly elections are undergoing in the state. Election commission of India initiated a novel way to encourage the voters to exercise their franchise enthusiastically, they issued a certificate of appreciation to first voter in Manikpur polling booth in Chitrakoot district of Madhya Pradesh. Uma Shankar was the first voter in the morn
- Polling disrupted in Maharashtra due to faulty EVMs, Polling resumed
- Litmus test for BJP in Huzurnagar Bypolls
- Voting Halfway Down, More celebrities get their fingers inked
- Voting percentage below 20 in Maharashtra and Haryana elections till noon
- NASA makes record with 2 Women astronaut spacewalk for first time
- Opposition leaders step out to vote
- 5.79% Voter Turnout Till 10am in Maharashtra
- Haryana CM came to Polling Booth by BICYCLE
- Voting in Maharashtra & Other States in full swing
- Leading Personalities franchising their Votes
- By-Polls Polling begins in Maharashtra & Haryana
- TSRTC JAC announced Huge Public Meeting on October 30
- Decision on the status of Pakistan be taken by FATF in February 2020
- IMD predicts Heavy rain in Coastal AP
- First of the ten metro trains proposed for Chennai phase I extension reached