Accordingly Me Too movement has come to the southern film industry, with several women actors speaking up against sexual harassment in their workplace. As per report it has been far from easy for them to do so, where many on social media and even journalists have questioned them on why they were speaking up now, after all these years.
Furthermore the disbelief is compounded by the fact that as actors these women may have worn certain clothes on screen or performed in certain scenes or roles that are considered “vulgar” or “bold” by the audience. Meanwhile this, several people believe, erases their right to complain when they are subjected to harassment and there seems to be a lack of understanding that what they do on screen is their work, performed with consent, while harassment is a crime.
Further film industries in India have for long sold the idea that a woman has no agency over her own body and if in real life women are treated as the properties of men, it’s all the more amplified in cinema. Moreover even in Bollywood, where the #MeToo movement has felled some giants and gained the support of the big stars now, it took a decade for actor Tanushree Dutta’s allegation against Nana Patekar to be taken seriously. Back in the day, the news was projected as Tanushree, who had been signed to do an “item” dance, throwing a “tantrum” for “attention”.
SC dismissed PIL challenging dissolution of J&K Assembly by Governor Satya Pal Malik New Delhi sources stated that a bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice S K Kaul said "We are not inclined to interfere (with the decision of the Governor)". Meanwhile the bench was hearing a PIL filed by BJP leader Gagan Bhagat, who was an MLA before the Assembly was dissolved.
- Which Party will win Higher Percentage in Telangana?
- Strange case of a damaging goat!
- H Raja again in controversy!
- Ravishankar firm on program plans!
- People against Jayalalitha's memorial!
- Jaipur Princess filed for Divorce
- Bengaluru boy uses Broomstick to beat his Mother
- Ramdas Athawale slapped by 30 old man at a public event in Maharashtra
- KTR openly claims that TRS would return to power with 100 seats
- Will Congress' talks with MIM give an edge?
- World Bank says remittance inflow to India last year was USD 68.9 billion
- Trump's Son in Law had private conversations with Saudi Crown Prince
- Vaiko warned as TN worst affected in India for Mekedatu Project
- Wedding celebrations of Isha Ambani as grand as expected
- Australian Shark trampled a surfer